9- ISIS

Two Years later...

I sat in the back of the Quinjet rubbing my hands together.

It had been two years since the Avengers had broken up. Since Steve had broken us out of prison. For almost two years I had been a fugitive.

Shortly after we had dropped Scott, Clint, and Wanda off the four of us headed back to my hometown.

She was gone by the time we had gotten there.

Tony Stark had her moved out of state to a secure location in New York where my enemies were unable to get to her.

I guess Steve had gotten through to him. Even if was only a little.

Natasha put a hand on my knee from across the aisle shaking me from my thoughts.

Over the years the four of us had become close. Close enough to consider each other family, Natasha was always able to tell when something was bothering me.

She smiled at me before removing her hand from my knee. "Any word from Wanda?" 

I shook my head and fidgeted with the gadgets I had strapped to my belt.

I hadn't heard from Wanda since we had said our goodbyes in Moscow where Vision was meeting up with her.

"She'll come around." Natasha said reassuring to me. "Besides, I'm pretty sure she can handle herself." She said pulling a hand through her now short, blonde hair.

"Let's just focus on the mission." I said to her standing up.

We were flying high over Syria. After the recent attacks from the terrorist group known as ISIS, the team and I decided we needed to do something about it.

A few days ago we received a tip from our source on the inside.

Sharon Carter.

She notified us of an ISIS weapons deal going down in Damascus. Intel showed that the terrorist organization had managed to get their hands on Chitauri technology.

"Steve, did your girlfriend say anything about when the buy was going down or where it was exactly?" Sam asked as the hatch lowered.

The wind ripped through my hair and across my face.

"She's not my girlfriend, and no. We're going in blind. Sam you're on air recon. I'll cover a few miles of ground to the east. Natasha and Carter, you guys cover ground to the west." Steve said as he strapped two pistols to his hip and slung an assault rifle over the back of his now black suit.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing you use guns." I said to him as he looked down at the lake we were flying over.

He smiled at me. "I used to do it all the time back in 1945. Watch each other's backs." He said before stepping backwards and jumping out of the plane plummeting towards the water below.

Sam shook his head and just laughed. "Would it kill him to just strap a parachute on every once in awhile?"

"Not likely." Natasha said as she walked into the cockpit.

"Good luck." Sam said as he dropped out of the Quinjet before his wings spread and he flew out of sight.

"Why do I always get stuck with you?" I asked Natasha as the Quinjet touched down safely in a hidden location outside of the city. 

"Couples work best together." Nat said winking at me.

We stared at each other for a second before I snorted and she burst out laughing.

"First of all, you're almost twice my and second you have a twisted sense of humor." I said to her.

She shrugged. "Could be worse, you could be underage."

I snorted again.

"When you guys are done flirting, you mind getting your job done?" Sam's voice cracked through the comms.

"Sadly Carter's heart is set on another." Natasha said continuing to play along with her joke.

"At least she's his age." Steve's voice spoke as he laughed.

"Alright, all jokes aside let's find where this exchange is going down." I said as Natasha and I swiped a couple of cloaks and wrapped them around ourselves to conceal our identities.

***
"Steve, Sam? You there?" Natasha asked as we laid on top of a building.

"We read you." Steve replied through the comms.

"We found the where the exchange is going down. I'm sending you the coordinates now." Natasha said pushing some buttons on her wrist.

ISIS members walked back and forth along the boxes they were protecting. I had counted at least twelve hostiles, all armed with sub machine guns or assault rifles.

Three more vans appeared down the alley as they sped into the small clearing.

A man in a black suit stepped out of one van and made his way towards the cases of alien technology.

Ten more hostiles.

Steve dropped from the sky on the rooftop next to us silently, followed by Sam.

I pulled out the sniper I had strapped across my back and aimed down sight.

"Alright Carter, on you." Steve's voice rang in my ear as I zeroed in on my target.

Two grenades had been strapped on to one of the members belts, easy shot, could take out multiple enemies with one shot.

"Nothing fancy, just take the shot and let's move." Steve said after I hadn't shot yet.

"Ah Steve. You know I can't do that." I said pulling the trigger.

"22 hostiles in the field. Call them out as they go. I don't want any surprises."

The fifty caliber bullet ripped through the grenade sending off two explosions in the process.

Four men had been taken out.

"18 remaining." I said into the comms.

"We're compromised!" One of the men yelled as they sprinted for their trucks.

Black Widow dropped in between the men and the vans while Captain Rogers did the same on the other side.

Sam landed in middle and began firing his uzis before the soldiers were able to pull out their assault rifles.

I teleported to the ground and pulled two guards from behind before teleporting in the air and dropping them to the ground.

"Sixteen." I replied as I teleported back to the ground.

"Eleven." Natasha spoke.

I turned to look as Natasha had taken out the head honcho and two of his goons near the vans.

"Seven." Sam spoke as he reloading his uzis.

"One." Steve replied as he had just take out six men.

Everyone looked around for the remaining member. We were all confused.

"Steve? Did you forget how to count?" Sam asked him.

A shadow flickered through the light of the shadow as a man quietly crept behind Steve.

I teleported down in front of Steve and raised a pistol.

"Umm Carter?" Steve asked.

My finger slid to the trigger and I pulled it shooting just over his shoulder and into the man behind him crumpling to the ground.

"Thanks." Steve said nodding at me.

Sirens filled the air as we finally made our way back to the Quinjet.

A phone began ringing from the front of the jet.

Steve looked at Nat, the two shared a look before he entered the cockpit and answered the phone on speaker.

"Hello? Steve is that you?"