26- Worthy

The Avengers Compound had been completely wiped off the map by the giant ship that loomed overhead.

And the Avengers... were trapped underneath rubble.

Banner held up a bunch of rubble as best he could to keep it from crushing Rhodey and Rocket.

"I can't breathe. I can't breathe." Rocket yelled.

"Canopy. Canopy. Canopy." Rhodes said ejecting himself from his suit.

"Rhodey, Rocket. Get out of here!" Banner yelled as the rubble was too much for him.

"Let me! Let me up!" Rocket yelled as Rhodey grabbed a rod of rebar and used it as a jack to life the rubble off of the raccoon.

The water suddenly washed over them and slowly proceeded to drown the heroes under the facility.

***

Lang pushed debris off of himself as he had survived by shrinking himself just enough to be crushed.

"Mayday, Mayday! We're on the lower level. It's flooding!" Rhodes said into the comms.

Ant man stood up. "What? What?"

"We're drowning! Does anybody copy? Mayday!" Rhodes yelled again pleading for help.

"Wait! I'm here. I'm here can you hear me?"

***
Natasha groaned as she got up. A silver glint caught her eye as Clint's sword lie on the ground next to her.

Natasha shined a flash light onto the ceiling and gulped as she saw how far up it was.

"Steve?" She called and after getting no answer she continued into the pipes. She sheathed the sword against her back and drew her pistol with a flashlight in the other hand.

She knelt to the floor and cleared the some debris and grabbed the infinity gauntlet with all the stones in it from the ground.

A low growl sounded from down the pipes.

A growl she had known all too well.

Space dogs.

She stepped back and shot a flare round into the tunnel revealing all of the aliens that lined the walls of the tunnel.

She turned and ran as fast as she could as soon as she did the dogs took speed chasing after her.

***
Tony walked through the rubble towards Caps unconscious body. He kicked him a few times. "Come on, buddy. Wake up."

Cap gasped and looked at Tony.

"That's my man." Tony said to him holding out his shield. "You lose this again. I'm keeping it."

Steve looked around confused at what had just happened, breathing heavily he asked. "What happened?"

"You mess with time, it tends to mess back. You'll see." Tony said helping his friend to his feet.

The duo walked to where Thor was just standing there watching Thanos sit on rock in the middle of the disaster zone.

"What's he been doing?" Tony asked.

Thor shook his head. "Absolutely nothing."

"Where are the stones?" Steve asked.

"Somewhere under all this." Tony answered. "All I know is he doesn't have them"

"So, we keep it that way." Steve said with determination in his eyes.

"You know it's a trap, right?" Thor said as neither one of them took their eyes off Thanos.

"Yeah." Tony said. "I don't much care."

"Good." Thor said. "Just as long as we're all in agreement." As he spoke his eyes arched with electricity and lightning cracked in the sky followed by the rumble of thunder.

Thor rose both of his hands as electricity wound around his body. Lightning struck him as his hair began to tie itself and his armor appeared on his chest.

He caught both Stormbreaker and Mjolnir in his hands.

"Let's kill him properly this time." Thor said to the rest of his friends.

Together the three of them walked towards Thanos and surrounded him in a circle while he just sat there.

"You could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you?" Thanos said. "Back to me. I thought by eliminating half of life the other half would thrive and you've shown me that's impossible and as long as those that remember what was. There will always be those that are unable able to accept what can be. They will resist."

"Yep, we're all kinda of stubborn." Tony said sarcastically.

"I'm thankful." Thanos said to him. "Because now I know what I must do." He said standing up. "I will shred this universe down to its last atom. And then with the stones you've collected for me create a new one teeming with life that knows not what it has lost but only what it has been given. A grateful universe." Thanos said grabbing his double bladed sword and putting his helmet on.

"Born out of blood." Cap said to him.

"They'll never know it." Thanos said. "Because you won't be alive to tell them."

That was about as much of a declaration of war you could get.

Thor yelled and charged Thanos.

Tony's mask came down and he jumped into action with his nanotech creating a blade.

Steve threw his shield and the battle began.

They knocked each other around back and forth, neither of them getting the upper hand.

"Thor, hit me." Iron man said as he asked for Thor to hit the energy device in back to power up his weapons to pack a punch.

Thanos was quick as he grabbed Tony just as Thor threw Mjolnir striking Tony in back.

Steve charged but was quickly knocked aside by the Mad Titan.

Thanos then went for Thor and got him pinned against rocks choking him out and punching him repeatedly across the face.

Thor rose his hand as he called Stormbreaker to his aid but was intercepted by Thanos and pressed against his chest cutting his armor much to the resistance of the God of Thunder.

In the distance Mjolnir began to rise slowly before it smashed into the side Thanos head and made its return to its owner.

A gloved hand caught the hammer in the air as the man rose his shield in the other.

Steve Rogers was worthy.

"I knew it." Thor said excitedly completely slipping his mind that he was seconds away from death. Thanos reacted swiftly kicking Thor's head through the rock.

Captain America went into action as he got a few good licks in with crushing blows across the face. He pushed Thanos back and threw his shield as the shield returned Steve hit it right back with Mjolnir knocking him off balance.

Thanos gathered his wits and came at Steve again this time he threw his shield passed him and threw the hammer right after creating a shockwave as the two weapons made impact with each other sending Thanos sprawling.

Steve then used the power of Thor and sent a bolt of lightning straight into Thanos chest where he then reached to the sky and pulled another bolt of lightning on top of him.

Thanos sword suddenly came flying out of the rubble as he was back on his feet and had caught Steve off guard. With Mjolnir ripped from his hands he was left with a shield only.

Thanos sliced across his leg and his wrist as he brought his sword down on Caps shield in anger, he continued this until Steve fell backwards and his shield fell in pieces.

And the Big Three had been defeated.