25- A Second Chance

The Avengers sat on the dock that looked out onto a small lake, mourning and trying to cope with the loss of one of their closest friends.

"We know he had family." Tony said to the mourning heroes.

Steve nodded.

Natasha choked up. "Whe-when we get them back. I'll tell them." She nodded.

Bruce looked at her with sympathy. "Are you sure?"

A tear rolled down her eye. "I was his best friend. It's only right." She said wiping it.

Thor walked up with wide eyes. "What?"

"Huh?"

"What are you doing?" Thor asked Tony.

"Just asked him a question?" Tony responded calmly.

Thor was clearly upset. "Yeah, no, you're acting like he's dead. Why are we acting like he's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring him back. Isn't that right? So, stop this shit we're the Avengers get it together." Thor rambled.

"Can't get him back." Natasha said.

"What's she.. what?" Thor began rambling again.

"It can't be undone." Natasha said ready to break. "It can't."

Thor started to laugh. He was in denial.

"Look, I'm sorry, no offense, but you're a very earthy being and we're talking about space magic. And can't seems very definitive. Don't you think." Thor argued.

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my pay grade here but he still isn't here, is he?"

"No, that's my point."

Natasha broke. "It can't be undone. Or at least that's what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? Go grab your hammer and you go fly and you talk to him." Natasha was growing angry. Frustrated.

Thor looked away embarrassed... sad.

"It was supposed to me." Natasha said as the tears fell.

Wanda rubbed a supporting hand on her back.

"Sacrificed his life for that goddamn stone. He bet his life on it."

Banner growled and ripped the park bench off the dock and threw it across the lake. "He's not coming back. We have to make it worth it. We have to."

Steve stood up. "We will."

***
Rocket and Banner both sat and watched Tony get the stones in a perfect alignment which were being held by his very useful machines.

Tony wiped the sweat off his face as Bruce typed into an iPad and Rocket watched in awe.

Tony then took all the stones and moved them into place of the gauntlet that he had designed himself.

"Boo!" Rocket yelled almost giving Tony a heart attack.

"All right. The gloves ready. Question is, who's gonna snap their fingers?" Rocket asked.

Thor strutted up to the glove. "I'll do it."

"Excuse me?" Tony asked.

"It's okay." Thor said to them.

"Stop, stop. Slow down." Tony said as him and Cap stopped him.

"Thor. Just wait." Cap said to him in his brand new scaled suit. "We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet."