| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

{ ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ }

| Gilbert |

Lily Grant. The name crosses my mind like a whisper. I can only faintly remember her raven hair as it flowed behind her while we would chase each other around the schoolhouse as kids. I can barely piece together the day she left, disappeared from the eyes of those in Avonlea. I just can't remember why.

"Gilbert!" I hear my friends greet in unison. Suddenly I'm surrounded by them, answering their questions and shaking their hands. I've got to admit, it's nice to be back.

"Why were you talking to that girl?" Charlie questions, looking at me with concern.

"What Charlie," I retort, "is there a reason why I shouldn't talk to her?" I keep my gaze on him, slightly teasing.

"Yeah," Moody spoke up, "just because she came back doesn't mean she's not still... sick. And besides, Billy says she's even friends with the new orphan girl." I turn to Moody with confusion. Why were they speaking of her in this way?

"She's bad news," Charlie added, I simply scoffed at his statement.

"You guys sound ridiculous alright," I defend, "I like kinda like her she's..." I look over at her, and there she is staring back at me, sadness clearly written in her features. She heard them. Her gaze leaves mine as Diana grabs her attention.

"She's what Gilbert," I hear Billy chirp up. I glare at him, remembering the events from earlier this morning.

"She's different," I say to him, meeting his eyes, earning a scoff from him.

"Oh she's different alright," he raises his voice now, everyone turns, giving their attention to him, "one conversation with the girl and you've forgotten how she's sickly and gross. Probably contagious!" The class starts to laugh and snicker at his words. I can see Diana ushering Lily outside followed by the other girls.

"Hush it, Billy," I try to defend once more, "take it easy."

"I am," he turns to me with a smirk on his lips and sarcasm on his tongue. God. If I had just kept my mouth shut, I wouldn't be ruining this girl's first day. Bravo Gilbert, way to impress a cute girl.

| Lily |

"I just had to get you out of there," Diana comforts as we walk outside, with Anne not too far behind, "you shouldn't mind the boys, they're just cruel, especially that Billy Andrews." I could care less about what Billy Andrews said, even though it hurt. What was truly bothering me was Gilbert, who was treating me so normally outside, but when he looked at me moments ago. It was with eyes of pity, just like Diana and Anne. Just like my doctors. Just like my parents. It's not like I'm any different from the girl he met outside, but according to his eyes, I was.