| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

{ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋɪɴɢ }

| Lily |

"I promise it'll be okay, you only have to do this once," I try to comfort Anne outside of the schoolhouse. I stare at her, urgency written all over my face, even though my eyes held sadness for my best friend, who's beautiful red hair is now gone, chopped off mercilessly by Marilla last night. "And besides it's only temporary, nothing lasts forever."

"Well that's easy for you to say," she whines, "you don't look like a boy."

"Pixie cuts are very big in the city, you'll be a trendsetter!" I quip and walk forward, dragging her behind me.

"You're not helping," she deadpans, trying to pull herself out of my grip as I attempt to drag her towards the stairs. "There's no way I'm going in there."

| Gilbert |

I walk into the class after hanging up my coat like I never left. The room is filled with all my fellow classmates, but I scan the room for only one face. Where is she?

"Gilbert!" I hear multiple people yell in surprise, which takes me out of my daze. Within seconds I'm ushered deeper into the room, a myriad of questions being asked as everyone wonders where I've been. However, my attention isn't on them as I utter out simple responses until I catch sight of Diana, calmly entering the classroom.

"Excuse me," I say politely to the group around me, the commotion and sound of my voice causing her to turn around.

"Gilbert?!" She gasps, "you're back."

"Yes, I am," I say awkwardly, scratching the back of my neck, "you wouldn't happen to know where Lily is, would you?" She looks at me with wide eyes, as if me standing before her was some kind of illusion.

"S-She's outside," she stuttered, "but you told her-"

"I know," I interrupt, my hand already on the door handle. I open it, slipping out onto the porch, and just like Diana said, there she is. Her back is to me, facing Anne who sports a new haircut. I notice my heartbeat increasing, she's the same Lily that I left behind, half of her curly hair tied up softly with a white ribbon to match her dress. She was a ghost, that came back to life.

I feel my feet cement themselves to their place on the ground. She's right there.

Anne spots me immediately, her expression matching Diana's from a few seconds earlier. Lily of course notices this and turns around, her eyes meeting mine for the first time, in what feels like forever. My breathing comes to an abrupt stop. I should've thought of something to say.

| Lily |

I turn around after noticing Anne's expression.