| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴ

{ ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪғᴜʟ }

| Lily |

"Not returning to Avonlea?" Diana asks Anne sorrowfully as they walk into the classroom. I haven't spoken a word to Anne since our fight, my hatred still hasn't depleted. Diana approaches our desk and sits down in Anne's spot. I feel her squeeze my arm but it barely registers. The two continue talking about the situation as more students pile into the classroom

"That's what he told Lily anyway," Anne replies, "he sent it a few weeks ago."

"Do you have it with you," Diana asks me, but I only shake my head.

"Actually," Anne speaks up awkwardly, and pulls the crumpled piece of parchment from her apron pocket, "I kind of brought it."

"Anne!" I yelp, turning sharply to face her. A few heads are turned, alerted by my sudden outburst, but I pay no mind to them. "Are you trying to make me hate you," I tell her sternly.

"Don't you want Diana to read it," she defends innocently. I purse my lips at her as she pulls the letter out and hands it to Diana. Watching quietly as she reads I take a quick glance around the room and notice Ruby, talking to the others about Gilbert. I don't even notice when Diana has finished reading it until she takes hold of my hand gently.

"Ruby will have an affliction," she says, eying the blond behind us, "we can't show her this letter, it'll kill her." She reaches out to hand it back to me, but in a flash it's gone. My head snaps to the thief only to find Billy Andrews, with his signature smirk glancing down at me.

"What's this?" He questions loudly, drawing the attention of our classmates as he unfolds the paper, "Dear Lily." I stand up, but he doesn't stop.

"'Receiving your letters has made me the happiest I've been in months'," he mocks.

"Give it back Billy," I demand, sounding like a frustrated child. Panic starts to overwhelm me as I watch my classmates listen in.

"'I miss you too'," he continues, backing away from me, "'sometimes too much' aww, isn't that sweet." His chuckling mocks my panicked aura while his lips form a fake pout as he continues speaking, tormenting me. I hear Anne say something in protest but I'm distracted by Cole, who, from behind Billy, snatches the letter from his hand. The commotion in the room ceases instantly. Billy looks up at Cole in shock before his smug expression returns once more.

"What a gentleman," he says, stubbornly admitting defeat. I don't even take the time to glare at him before I start thanking Cole a million times over. He remains stoic though, only a shy smile revealing itself as he hands the letter back to me.

"Don't mention it."

"Hey Cole, wait up," I call after the boy, exiting the schoolhouse.