| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ

{ ᴍʏsᴛɪғʏɪɴɢ }

| Lily |

"Lily! Lily, honey, wake up it's important! Lily!" I hear as my mother gently shakes me awake. My eyes open to reveal my mother, her features poorly illuminated by the small lantern she holds in her hand. There's fear evident in her eyes, a fear I haven't seen in a long time.

"What-what's wrong," I ask, half asleep, "Is everything okay?" She immediately tries calming me down.

"There's a fire, at the Gillis's house. Your father and I are going but you must stay because—"

"What? No!" I cut her off, protesting. I push her off me and try to get out of bed, "I'm going. I can't just—"

"Lillian Grant you will do as I say," she demands, grabbing hold of my arm, "it is far to dangerous for you. I will not put you at risk."

"But—"

"No! I will not discuss this further, we have to leave," I watch helplessly as she walks off, locking my door behind her. Groaning in frustration I begin to think of what I could do.

One second

Two seconds

Three

"The window," I whisper in realization. Grabbing my coat to cover my white nightgown, I hurriedly make my way over to my windowsill. It opens swiftly inviting the cool air to send unwanted shivers down my back. I look down, immediately regretting it. Why does our house have to be two stories?!

Carefully I sit on it and swing one leg over, then the other. Now I'm only hanging on with my arms. Knowing there's another window right below I steadily lower myself down, placing my feet on the frame.

With my heart racing, I let a sigh escape my lips. Sweat makes itself prominently known on my forehead. The ground seems so far away. It's only a few feet. Three maybe. I'll fall carefully. Try not to break any bones. But what if something happens to me? Everyone is at the fire. No one will come and find me. And—

I stop my rapid thoughts and ready myself to jump.

One second

Two seconds

Three seconds

With a faint humph I push myself off the windowsill and fall onto the dirt and leaves that were once below me. What follows next is pain in my back and side. But nothing's broken. Slowly I get up, slightly shaken but my mind is still on the task at hand. I can feel the thrill coursing through my body, all the way to my fingertips, and my toes. Time to go to that fire.

| Gilbert |

The scene itself is terrifying. Fire raging, smoke infesting our lungs, but then there's this awful feeling. The feeling I get when I look right into it, at the top of the ladder, on the roof of the burning house. It's a feeling mortifying beyond my comprehension. I don't think I've ever felt anything worse. I try keeping my mind off of it. Focusing on tossing each bucket of water on, passing the bucket back down, doing all I can to help while I swallow the fear in my throat.