| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

{ ᴘᴇʀғᴇᴄᴛ }

| Lily |

"I don't think lecturing you is doing anything to fix your outlandish behavior," my mother droned, scolding me once more, "when school goes back in session you will not be returning." This, however, catches my attention immediately.

"What?" I protest, "you can't I-I just got back. I've made friends. You can't do this! Not again."

"I already have," she snapped, "the mere second I discovered that you snuck out, again might I add. I sent word to the minister to pray for you, unfortunately, your condition has worsened. No more school!" I stand, aghast at her words. Using my sickness to lie to the minister.

"You used my illness to punish me!" I yell, "how could you." Anger fills me to the brim. I race to my room in a rage. Tears flowed freely down my cheeks and I let them. I let them stain my cheeks, I let them wet my pillow as I furiously cried into it.

The days passed, and school started again, but I didn't go. I spent my days in bed, reading, writing, trying to play my music with the little energy I had. Because although my mother lied to the minister, my condition did worsen, the morning after she declared my punishment. But I'm scared, terrified even, that I won't ever go back.

School started yesterday and I still sit in my room, alone with my own mind, which is, to say the least, driving me crazy. I guess the only thing truly keeping me grounded was my music, it kept my mind busy. So now, as I sit alone, I begin to play.

"Lily," my mother chirps knocking on the door and interrupting me, "someone is here to visit you." I'm immediately alerted. None of my friends could see me like this. My tired sunken eyes and pale skin. To put it simply I'm just ashamed of my appearance. Especially when I'm, in my mother's words... not well.

"Um," I say quickly, "one moment." Acting swiftly, I fix my curly brown hair, letting it flow freely down my shoulders. I take a short glance at myself in the mirror and slip on my white dress robe. This'll have to do.

"Come in," I speak softly, prepared to entertain either Anne or Diana.

"Hi Lily," Gilbert says, standing in my doorway with flowers in his hand, "how are you?"

"Gilbert!" I gasp, "you're the last person I expected to visit me." I motion for him to come in, my mind running ablaze with reasons of why he was here.

"Well, if I must remind you again, we are friends," he teases with a smirk, "so I thought I should stop by like the gentleman that I am." I laugh at his cockiness.

"Wouldn't a gentleman be invited over?" I question.

"You said maybe," he proves, ending the argument. I look at him now, fully without averting my gaze. He stands awkwardly in front of my door, swaying back and forth on his heels. He plays with his hat in his hands, along with the flowers, which I assume are for me.