| ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴ

{ sᴛᴜᴘɪᴅ }

| Lily |

"Are you deaf Miss Grant I said take your seat," Mr. Philips booms above me, but I'm paying no mind to him. The only thing I could focus on was the eyes. The eyes of every individual in the classroom staring me down. When I didn't reply again the whispers started. Uncontrollable. My eyes dart everywhere. To Diana who looks at me with pity. To Anne who was beckoning me over. To Josie who looked me up and down. And then Gilbert, who to my surprise was standing now, staring at me like the rest. But his stare was different, one I couldn't read. And it frightened me.

Next thing I know I'm at the door, opening it with a shaking hand and running away. Running away from the stares and judgment. From my friends. From Gilbert who was driving me crazy with feelings, I didn't understand. I'm running away like the coward I am.

Once I'm deep enough into the woods I sink to my knees. Defeated. I feel the wet snow as it soaks my knees, leaving stains on my stockings. But I don't care.

I can't help but think of how utterly stupid I am for thinking I could come back, act like nothing ever happened. Act like I'm not already judged. I'm not liked here. I wasn't missed.

"Lily!" Someone yells behind me, but I don't turn. I know exactly who it is. I can hear his footsteps crushing the snow. And then I can feel his hand, on my shoulder, as he kneels down beside me.

"Why do they all hate me Gilbert?" I whisper, on the brink of tears, "What did I do wrong?" I look at him now, in his eyes, and all I see is understanding.

"You didn't do anything wrong," he embraces me, and that's when I break. The tears fall in numerous amounts and the sobs flood the silence that blankets the frozen forest around us.

"I'm so sorry," I say through the tears, "I should've never come back."

"No," he states, releasing our embrace so he can look at me, "then who would be my best friend." He chuckles, but my head is down, beyond embarrassed about the state I'm in.

"No matter what," I whisper, looking up with a half-hearted smile.

"No matter what," he promises.

| Gilbert |

We've been here for a while. Even though it's freezing. Even though we both should be in school. But I don't want to be anywhere else. I look over at her, she's playing with her gloves, probably trying to keep her mind off the pain she's going through. Her pale cheeks are even rosier from the cold, her lips now almost white. She turns to me, noticing my staring. I just smile at her, making her blush.

"I'm an idiot," she breathes out, a hint of laughter in her voice.

"What?" I question.

"You heard me," she laughs again, "I've been really stupid lately," I open my mouth to protest but she cuts me off.