Chapter 7: Voodoo Child

"I don't want to take backseat command, Janine, but is this really a good idea?" Paula asks, leaning against the camper van.

"It is, Dr. Cohen. Now that we have communications operational, our next priority must be to secure living accommodation," She says from the driver's seat, fiddling with her notebook, her plans.

"You'll get no argument from me on that. But we're sure the message was on the up and up?"

"We can not possibly be sure of that. But when a message was broadcasted on an open channel suggesting a rendezvous with Runner Five before the Minister admitted to her not being dead, then we have to follow it up. Especially when the message offered assistance in finding living accommodation."

"Were you the kind of person who would reply to emails saying you'd won competitions you'd never actually entered?"

Janine huffs. "Yes, very funny, Dr. Cohen. But we have to investigate, even if it means learning of a new enemy."

"A possible new enemy is why I suggested going alone," I say. "Paula doesn't have to come along."

"The last time you were left alone, you came running back, dripping wet and freezing, telling us that Ministry soldiers had come by," Paula says, pursing her lips and placing a hand on her hip. "We had to use every single one of our blankets to try to warm you up again. You shouldn't be going out alone."

"Oh, please, we both know I've gone through worse."

She tsks. "I'm now beginning to see why Sam hates it when you say that. Nevertheless, I'm up and out here with you now, and I'm staying."

I shrug. "Okay, but if it does happen to be a trap, remember that I offered you a way out."

"Mr. Yao has accessed cameras in the area, and it doesn't appear to be a trap," Janine states, turning to look at us. "I trust you and Dr. Cohen to handle yourselves if circumstances change."

Paula sighs. "I suppose it's worth a look."

"I'm so glad my strategy meets your approval," She says, the bite in her voice obvious. Paula cringes.

"Sorry. I... I'm just crabby. It's probably because I've been sleeping in a camper van for almost a week and living off a diet of tinned tuna, milk and 'soup', which is vegetables cooked in water."

"It's been difficult for us all. You are brave to stay."

She nods. "Yeah. Lou's escorting Ed and Molly to Jack and Eugene's island. It'll be a tough road, but she'll get them there. She asked us if we wanted to come to."

"You decided you could be of use to us here in a fight," Janine says. "I think you're right, and I'm... I'm grateful."

"Thank you. It's just Sarah... when we decided to have her, we didn't-I didn't imagine I'd be raising her in a tent in the middle of an overgrown wood while the most powerful woman in the country tries to hunt her down!"

Janine nods. "I understand. Which is yet another reason we must follow up on this lead, albeit with extreme caution. Keep radio silent in case this person has a way to monitor our transmissions. Now, raise the gates."

"There aren't any gates," Paula deadpans while I giggle.

"Maintaining routine is vital is times such as these. Covering fire!"

"Bang! Bang! Bang!" I yell, unable to control my laughter.

"And begin your mission. Run!"

I laugh as we head off, but Paula just shakes her head. She feels really uptight about this, and while I am nervous, I don't feel worried. There's no feeling in the pit of my stomach, no  worry eating away at my chest. A bit of anxiety, yes, but nothing terrible, although I don't know if I should really go by what these feelings tell me since when we went to Brightwater, I felt great. I felt happy and optimistic and then I ended up learning that the woman who literally is the government is the same woman who tried to kidnap a baby and tried to kill me, on multiple occasions.