Chapter 42: For Your Eyes Only

"Alright, guys, tell me what you're seein'," Jody says.

"You know what we're seeing," Amelia says with an eye roll, absentmindedly tapping her fingers to the beat of faint music. "Ahead of us is Brackenbridge Oats Hall, where a party is in full swing. The box we need is in that building. I'm rather surprised none of you have thought to ask what the box is, and whether it might be worth more to us than our allies, the Exmoore Militia."

The death glare I send her is ignored, but she does at least hear Jody's scoff.

"Yeah, well, we don't betray everyone we meet, unlike you," She says, which just causes Amelia to smirk. "The Exmoore Militia told us where to come, but the whole place has state-of-the-art security."

"Aw, thanks," Louise says with a grin.

"Security which Louise here set up."

"I had a stint trying to go straight."

"Didn't work then?" Amelia cocks a brow.

"Never has."

"So Lou's the perfect person to get us through," Jody says. "Five, you and Amelia need to set up bafflers through the building. Meanwhile, Lou, you need to get the new security code from... it says here, 'Minxie Arcane.'"

I laugh. "That sounds like something you'd hear in a video game. Is that an actual name?"

"It's more than a name; It's a manifesto," Louise replies. "It was her who employed me to set up this security."

"You think you can get that code from her?" Amelia asks, and Louise gestures down to her attire.

"Why do you think I'm wearing a tux?"

"I thought it was dress code so people wouldn't be suspicious if we were seen," I say, looking down at my dress and heels. "That's why I'm wearing this."

"Where did you even get that?" Jody asks.

"I found it when I ran out looking for bridesmaid dresses for the wedding. Maybe I should've gotten some tuxes too. I didn't think a lot of girls wore those... Sorry."

"I rather hoped it was for me," Amelia says, eyeing Louise with appreciation, "though I'd love to see you in it, Jody."

"Are you goin' to be like this all evenin'?" She asks in exasperation, and Amelia places her hand to her chest, feigning obliviousness.

"Like what? I'm a loyal member of Abel Township in exile, doing my best for the good of humanity."

We all burst out laughing at hearing that, our cackling almost louder than the thumping music of the hall. Amelia purses her lips, jutting out a hip and crossing her arms. The pouty look she gives only makes us laugh harder.

"Oh, oh, I needed a good laugh," Jody says breathlessly, and I can almost see the tears in her eyes from laughter. "Alright, alright, um, the hall in front of you is full of rich people who have been livin' a neverendin' party since the apocalypse started. The security setup is amazin', which is how they've stayed so safe for so long, and they've been able to trade biotech resources and medicine for everything they need. On Day Zero, it was owned by a billionaire with eccentric decorating taste."

"How do you know this?" Amelia asks.

"That's what the Exmoore Militia told us," I say. "Well, they sent it via encrypted message delivered to us by the Laundry. Yeah, apparently this billionaire is a huge deal. Owned a lot of stuff before the apocalypse and is still pretty up in the world."

"Huh. Interesting."

The way she says that makes me uneasy.

"Is it?" Jody asks. "I'm expectin' we have some gold lamé zebra heads to look forward to. We don't have much time before the security guards do another sweep. You've got to get in there and get moving. Run!"