Chapter 57: Get The Party Started

"Runner Five, they've got Janine," Peter says, his eyes wide.

"They've got Sam!" Maxine cries.

"They've got Noah Base," Paula replies, looking down at the baby in her arms. "The things you found in Finland are hidden, but if we don't get them out, they'll find them eventually."

"Sigrid's almost into the labs under Abel," Amelia says, crossing her arms. "Her Channel Tunnel machine's have taken her right in under it, where there are no countermeasures to trigger. There's a fleet of airships assembling with dignitaries to see the grand opening." She peers out the window of the camper van that we're in, parked about two miles from Abel. "Oh, they look comfortable, unlike this mud hole in a death trap. Honestly, you lot do know how to pick your holiday destinations."

I roll my eyes at her dramatics.

"Ian's been doin' that broadcastin'," Jody says, before imitating his nasally voice. "'Surrender now and the Minister will be merciful. It's all over!' God, I hate him. I think I hate him more than Sigrid-and I hate her a lot-because she's doin' it because she believes in somethin'. But he's just doin' it because it's easy."

"I've been listening in on the radio," Tom says. "You should hear this."

He clicks a button on his headset, and static coms through.

"You're not going to win," Sam pants. "There's no way you can win. Too many people know the truth now. You really can't stop the signal, not forever."

Flesh hits flesh, the sound causing me to flinch as Ian laughs maniacally.

"Do you know who cares what you think, Sam Yao? No one! You're a traitor to your country. You've plotted against your government. You're mine now, and no one's coming for you."

"I hope not."

Ian hits him again.

"Stop!" Milo yells. "Leave him alone! What have you done to Nicole?"

"Do you ever stop talking?" Ian groans. "Am I going to have to gag you? Because I will if you don't shut up!"

"What have you done to Nicole?"

"She's no fun. Doesn't cry when she's hurt, never even makes a sound. I barely got out a whimper when I had her hand beat with a hammer. She's too tough."

"And why do you have me in here? You haven't even touched me."

"Oh, well, as much as I would love to dig a knife into your other arm, I've found that you seem to scream more when I do this!"

I hear another sound of flesh hitting flesh, and Sam cries out.

"Stop!" Milo cries, and Ian just laughs.

"You're just like your pathetic mother. It hurts you much worse when you see the people you care about hurting, knowing you can't save them. And no one's going to come for you."

"I know," Milo says, his voice watery. "Mum, if you're listening, don't try to save us. Me and Janine a-and Sam and Nicole, we're... we've accepted this. No!"

He screams when Ian hits Sam again.

"Five, don't try to save us!" Sam yells. "Don't do it, Callista!"

"Turn it off," I say, seconds away from ripping off my headset and tossing it, tears filling my eyes.

"I don't suppose there's any chance any of you are planning to listen to that?" Amelia guesses, seeming undisturbed by what she's just heard as we all head outside.

"Amelia, we need one thing from you," Jody says, fixing up her ponytail. It's time. Paula hands off Sarah to Kaylen, who volunteered to stay with the children while we go out. "Tell the Exmoore Militia we need them. We're callin' in our favor now."