Chapter 14: Wrong Song

"What's going on?" Sam panics. "Jody, Five, report. Oh, damn it! I wish I had access to cameras. I hate not being able to see!"

"It's alright, Sam," Jody says. "We have Sigrid trapped just as Amelia promised us. She warned us about the guards. We're ready."

"Jody, what are you talking about?" Amelia asks, and my grin grows at the confusion on her face. Although to Sigrid, it just looks like I know something that she doesn't, like the plan is falling into place.

She raises up a hand. "Guards, hold your fire. I want to understand what's going on here. What is she talking about, Miss Spens?"

"I have no idea. I didn't warn them about anything." Amelia turns to us and starts to speak slowly, as if we're idiots who can't comprehend what's going on. "Jody, Five? This is me betraying you. You can tell that, because you're currently surrounded by armed soldiers. You really ought to surrender before they shoot you..." She pauses before speaking in a normal tone again. "I suppose I should be flattered you find it so hard to believe I betrayed you. You always say I'm capable of anything, Jody."

"Runner Four, Runner Five, I'd like to take you alive," Sigrid says, her face neutral. "I abhor needless waste, and if you two are anything, you're survivors. I'd like to show you what I'm doing. I think you'll want to work with me. But you're also a major thorn in my side, and I'll kill you if I have to. So this is your last chance. Drop your weapons, or my people will shoot."

"Do what she says, Jody. There's no cause worth dying for." Amelia almost looks genuinely concerned as she says that. "I found that out a long time ago."

"It's okay, Amelia," Jody says. "Don't lose your nerve now. The voice simulator you gave us will sort it out. Look!"

She pulls out a black box from her backpack and holds it to the mic at the entrance of the cell block doors of the building closest to us. She hits one of the buttons, and the Minister's voice comes out.

"This is Sigrid Hakkinen, Minister for Recovery. Open all door locks. Security code-3364sigma9."

Then, loud, repetitive clicks sound off into the February air as all the cells open at once.

"Ministry prisoners!" Jody yells. "You're all free! Now help us take down these guards!"

People start pouring out of the buildings, coming at the guards from all directions. The guards start shooting, bullets slicing through flesh and bone, blood spilling on the cold hard ground below.

"Now, Amelia! Get Sigrid!" I yell, weaving through the crowd of prisoners to remain unseen by the guards that are shooting left and right.

Sigrid looks at Amelia, furious. "What the hell are you doing?"

She raises her hands in surrender. "Nothing! I'm not doing anything. This is me definitely not getting you."

"So you're going to deny that you supplied them with your voice simulation tech?"

"Of course I'm going to deny it! It's not true!"

"You're cover's blown, Amelia!" Jody yells as she and I hide behind the wall of the building in order to be shielded from bullets. "There's no point in denyin' it anymore. She knows the truth. Get over here so me and Five can protect you!"

"You're not going anywhere, Miss Spens." Sigrid grabs Amelia and pushes her towards some of the guards. "Take her, and get us out of here. We need to get to a secure position, now!"

"Well, don't wait around, Runners," Janine says. "They'll reestablish control soon enough. You must obtain the secondary target while they're distracted. Go!"