i. when duty calls

chapter one
when duty calls

ANALISA MORGAN FIRST AWOKE TO A KNOCKING UPON HER DOOR

ANALISA MORGAN FIRST AWOKE TO A KNOCKING UPON HER DOOR. At first, the only reaction the ex-avenger has toward the overly-annoying, consistent sound is to simply pull her pillow further over her ears, and only ignore it. Yet, with each knock that continues to echo out within her small, county house, she can feel the stress-levels within herself rocket up. Soon enough, she had grown immensely frustrated by the never-ending knocking, and decided to finally answer the door, and see what on earth the person wanted.

With her finger wrapped around the cold metal of the slightly rusted handle, Analisa carelessly yanks open the front door. Awaiting her upon the opposite side of the threshold is none other than Nick Fury, the man wearing an incredibly unimpressed expression upon his usually stoic features. Crinkles within his forehead form as his eyebrows furrow together, taking notice of the woman's dishevelled appearance. "What is it with you heroes always sending my calls to voicemail?"

"Sorry, some asshole decided it'd be fun to leak my number," In addition to her words, Analisa sends a vast grin, one in which was obviously of a false nature, in the direction of the one-eyed man, her head cocked ever-so-slightly to the side in what one could only define as either a teasing, or demeaning manner. "The damn thing would never stop ringing, so now, it's the ocean's problem."

Fury cocks a single questioning eyebrow at the woman's word, yet, does not utter even a word in response. Instead, he makes an effort to peer past her body and into the depths of her home, a task which was hindered by the fact that she, having been paranoid of whom may have awaited her, had only opened the entryway a slither. "Is there anyone else in there?"

"Why?" She quirks an eyebrow also to match his expression, her gaze burning holes into the close-by male. Subconsciously, her arms folded over her chest as the two unwaveringly hold one another's stares, Analisa demeanour gradually gaining a stand-offish nature. "I can't imagine why you would require the presence of me, a retired woman. Who are you looking for?"

"Just you, unfortunately," Fury mutters the last portion of the sentence beneath his breath, his voice only just loud enough for the female to hear, and grow annoyed over. And then, taking a note from the ex-hero's book, he plasters a comically smile grin upon his lips, followed by his sarcastic inquiry. "May I please come in?"

"Hmm, I'm not sure," Analisa purposely trails off, pretending to think upon his question for a few moments, acting as though it was hard to answer. However, upon glancing up and seeing the utterly unimpressed expression in which belongs to Fury, she opens the doorway to its full width, allowing for him to enter.

Fury manoeuvres his way around the idle body of the female, taking a few steps into the depths of her house, a place in which she had never once seen before. However, before he can get far, his stride is bought to an abrupt halt, and his face gained an expression of realisation, a realisation that he had forgotten something upon his entrance. Gesturing for an unknown individual to enter alongside him, he glances back at the female, and states, "Oh, there is someone you need to meet."

With lines forming between her eyebrows, she follows the direction Fury had gestured toward with her eyes, and, upon her gaze halting at the sight of the newcomer, these creases only grow more visible. Standing before her, adorning an unusual uniform of the colours green, red, and gold, with a cape much alike that which she had once seen upon the god of thunder, was a man she could not recognise. "Who the hell is this? Off-brand Thor? Did you really have to bring your cosplay party to my house?"

"Analisa, meet Mr Beck," Once the trio had situated themselves within the formerly spoken of woman's house, Fury swiftly commences the introductions between the two strangers, not having been the one to ever waste unnecessary time. He watches on intently as the expression worn upon the female's face contorts and alters as the female simply stares at the other-worldly man, still confused as to why his presence was necessary.

"Please, just call me Quentin," the man, whom Analisa could finally identify, outstretches his hand toward the woman, offering it to her in a polite, calm manner. Analisa, not having much prior experience handling a gesture of such a gentle demeanour, simply stares sceptically at his hand for a few fleeting, silent moments, yet eventually, and hesitantly, shakes it.

As their hands come to meet, even if for a short moment, Analisa doesn't miss the way in which his eyebrows furrow together slightly upon the first touch, and a glisten of reminiscence glazes his eyes, almost as if an old memory had invaded his mind. She quirks an eyebrow at this odd occurrence, the ex-avenger has no opportunity to inquire about it, as Fury's voice erupts from nearby, the man's gaze flickering between the both of them. "Let's talk."

✗✗✗

"So you're telling me that off-brand Thor here comes from an alternate reality? And that his earth got destroyed by these monsters?" The voice of Analisa has an overly dramatic tone woven deep within it, her eyes burning holes into the form of Nick Fury, who sits across from her, seeking conformation on her words. When she merely receives a nod from the man in question, she pauses for a moment as she takes another sip from her water, before she shrugs in a nonchalant manner. "I've heard weirder. But, as I've said before, I'm retired. You need to find someone else."

"Besides the teenage spider, everyone else is occupied," Fury's patience with the woman who had once been one of the earth's greatest protectors as she fails to realise the urgency of the situation, his frustration only skyrocketing as she doesn't bat an eye at his words. "There is no one else. What would Tony think if he knew you were refusing to protect the world he died to save?"

"I retired because he died," Analisa snaps at the man, and, although her tone is practically dripping with venomous intent, a true layer of hurt bubbles deep beneath the surface, sparked by the everlasting sense of grief, and guilt, in her. "If he were still here, I'd be fighting there, right beside him."

"Look, if she doesn't want to-" Quentin makes an attempt to intervene with the confrontation between the two, having noticed the way Fury's words seemed to only pour salt into an already opened wound. Yet, his attempt seems to only fall upon deaf ears, as he is quickly cut off by the one-eyed man before he can so much as finish his sentence.

"She will do this," Fury fires back at the oddly dressed man, and, although he speaks directly to him, his piercing gaze remains locked only upon the female in question. He could tell that his words were finally getting beneath the skin of Analisa, and so, he refused to give up the opportunity to drive his point home. "It's her duty as an Avenger."

Holding the gaze of the one-eyed man only a few moments longer, Analisa allows a moment of silence to wedge its way between them, her mind rushing with thoughts louder than any conversation. And, after enough time allocated to simply think, the ex-hero uplifts her gaze once more, with a shy, somewhat saddened ghost of a smile worn upon her lips. "When do we start?"

__

A/N

welcome to the first real chapter
of this story! i know that it isn't the
most eventful first chapter, but i
had to somehow set up the story,
and analisa got involved with this
all. i have a lot of plans for the
future of this story ((;

anyway, i hope you enjoyed
this chapter! and i hope to see
you again in the next update!
☺️💛