xii. fight or flight

chapter twelve
fight or flight

"ALL RIGHT, comms check," the voice of Happy echoes out from a small communication device in the ear of Analisa Morgan, his voice muffled only ever so slightly by the static of the device

"ALL RIGHT, comms check," the voice of Happy echoes out from a small communication device in the ear of Analisa Morgan, his voice muffled only ever so slightly by the static of the device. Happy sits in the driver's seat of the plane he'd picked up the two heroes in, flying them toward the Tower Bridge of London, which was currently under attack of one of Quentin's elementals. "Can you both hear me?"

Analisa, who stands toward the back entrance of the plane, prepared to take a free-fall down into the city when the time is right, turns back to face Happy in the driver's chair, sending him a thumbs up in response. Peter, on the other hand, who clings upon the outside of the plane, peers in through the window, replying, "I can, it's just a little loud out here."

"I like the new suits," Happy compliments the both of them on their new attire, which Peter had created for them, receiving a mumbled thanks from the boy, and a vague grin from the woman. His attention is quickly drawn back to the task at hand though, his gaze upon an elemental which stood taller than any other that'd appeared before, and was conjured from a mix of fire, air, smoke; the definition of destruction. "Whoa, you sure that's not real?"

"Yeah, it's just 100 times bigger than I expected," The boy dressed in blue and red replies, his gaze falling on the illusion of the creature, as all eyes had since it had appeared. However, unlike the terrified citizens of the city below, he, and his two companions knew that it was merely a display intended to appear as reality.

"Still the play?" Unsure of if they should proceed with their initial plan, or fallback and rethink, Happy asks those prepared to him into the fight; doubt enlaced in his voice.

"It has to be," Analisa reasons, knowing that they had come too far to simply back out because what they'd expected fell short. No, they needed to bring a halt to the antics of Quentin Beck before it can claim the lives of many. "Happy, take us higher, we can't let Quentin see us coming."

"Copy. Hold on," Happy responds, his grip upon the wheel of the plane tightening in anticipation. His gaze momentarily shifts back to the boy that holds on to the window beside him. "Stay sticky."

With warnings uttered to the two heroes, and their plans confirmed, Happy directs the plane upwards, the aircraft at nearly a straight slope. The knuckles of Analisa quickly become a pale white colour due to her tight, nervous grip upon the plane, her heart speeding up slightly.

The harsh winds slam into Peter as he is yet to release his hold on the plane. When he believes that they had reached a height that was enough to offer them some small amount of stealth, he launches himself off the side of the plane and into the city below, however, not before saying one last thing to Happy. "We need to have a serious conversation about you and my aunt!"

An expression of both surprise and embarrassment crosses over the features of Happy, and, nervously, he glances back to Analisa. The woman, whom, before this moment, had never heard of such a connection between the two, smirks obviously at him, pointing a single, playful finger at him. "When I get back, you better tell me all about that. But for now, open the back door."