x. broken realities

chapter ten
broken realities

chapter tenbroken realities

PETER PARKER IS GONE. These four harrowing words echo throughout the mind of Analisa Morgan, the sentence like a broken record made only to taunt her. Yet, she is offered very little time to dwell upon, or even accept, the boy's fate, as her focus is snatched back by Quentin Beck, who's gaze now flickers upon her. Turning to face her, he takes a few, yet menacing steps toward her, his cold eyes burning holes into the very depths of her being.

"Stay out of this, last warning," says Quentin, his tone feigning some sick kind of care toward Analisa, whose heart he had broken not once, but twice. He halts only a few mere meters away from where she lies, collapsed upon the unforgiving ground, shooting her a warning glare; almost as if challenging her to stand and fight once more.

And she falls into this trap. With a newfound sense of hatred burning deep within her, and rage intoxicating her mind, she slowly pushes herself up once more, her legs threatening to give out beneath her. A glare, one unlike any Quentin had received from her in past, is sent harshly in the direction of the man, her jaw clenching as their eyes meet. "I'll kill you for that."

"No, you won't," Once again, arrogance outweighs any other slither of emotion within Quentin Beck's voice, even the subtlest hint of remorse unable to be found within his tone. An echoing, spine-chilling laughter begins to overflow from his lips, amusement dancing within the air, shaking his head in almost a scolding manner, as you would with a disobedient child. "Oh, Analisa, you were never meant to know the truth. I had such big plans for you. But you just had to go along and complicate things."

Before Analisa can so much as comprehend what is happening, Quentin, or the illusion of him, disappears from her reality. An agonising, yet familiar pain sears through her back; the affliction that can be caused by only high voltages of electricity. For however long her frayed mind allowed her to remember, electricity had always been one of her greatest enemies, and would only ever ignite horrid memories within her. And this time is no different, as the horrid energy strikes her from seemingly all direction, a blood-curdling scream rippling from the very depths of her throat.

She shoots out violent bursts of magic in any direction in hopes to destroy the machines which inflict agony, the woman utterly blinded by the pain. But no success comes to her, and soon enough, her legs collapse from beneath her, her body slamming into the ground. And even then the electrocutions don't cease. Her lungs feel void of air as she desperately gasps through the pain, Analisa ripping off her mask in an attempt to open her airways, caring very little as an outburst of her magic shatters the item.

All hope had been lost for Analisa Morgan. In one final, futile attempt to bring upon an end to her own, a scream ricocheting from the depths of her throat, a final violent blast of magic pulsating from her body, using every final droplet of energy that had yet to flee her body. With one final flicker, the illusions around her fade. Whether it had been her magic or Quentin's will, or even if it was real, she would never know, yet she was far too exhausted to question it.