ii. romantic getaway

chapter two
romantic getaway

ANALISA MORGAN HAD NEVER BEEN A FAN OF WAITING

ANALISA MORGAN HAD NEVER BEEN A FAN OF WAITING. Even in her younger days, before she became involved in the world of crime and heroes, she was always quick to grow impatient, especially in situations she'd rather not be in a part of in the first place. Yet, there she was, awaiting the arrival of an other-worldly water monster in the grand city of Venice, with the only person present to keep her company being an inter-dimensional traveller whom, in her opinion, looked more like a cheap cosplayer than any hero.

"If this is Fury's idea for a romantic getaway, I know why he's single," Analisa utters aimlessly without so much as allowing her gaze to stray away from the city for even a moment, seeking for any signs of imminent, or the arrival of the highly spoken of water monster. "Or maybe it's the eyepatch. Paired with the murderous look in his eye, I'd say that's a real turn-off."

"Even in this world, you never shut up," with the ghost of a smile lightly dancing upon his lips, these words roll from Quentin's mouth with great ease. Unconsciously, he begins to play gently twist the wedding band worn upon his finger, which, even when he adorned his 'hero outfit', and was prepared for a fight, he seemed to always have within his possession.

A slight crease forms between the eyebrows of Analisa as they furrow together, the word that had been uttered from the male being ones she simply couldn't turn a blind eye to. A tiny pang of sympathy briefly emerges within her heart as he fiddled with his beloved ring, knowing the significance of the story behind it. Yet, she refused to showcase this emotion, and instead, puts up a facade of curiosity. "You knew me?"

"Oh, uh, yeah," Quentin, who usually held an overly calm composure, stumbles slightly over his words as if he'd realised that he had made a mistake of speaking such information. The same reminiscent glimmer within his eyes that the female hero had seen the day prior flickers through his eyes, his gaze blankly staring out into the Italian city. "You and I, we were both friends and, in simple terms, colleagues."

"Colleagues?" These words roll off the tongue of Analisa with heightened senses of emphasis and wonder laced amongst them, a bubbling curiosity emerging within her. Her head tilts ever so slightly to the side as she awaits the answer to even a singular question within her mind, finding herself suddenly intrigued by the thought of herself in another dimension. "As in The Avengers?"

"Something along those lines," A light chuckle echoes from the oddly-dressed man's mouth as he utters his vague response, the same small smile worn upon his lips having yet to flee. His eyes momentarily flicker over to the female by his side, yet, when their gazes come to meet, he finds himself unable to break away from the eye-contact. "Although, we had a different name. And for the most part, the people in it were different, with the exception of you and a few others."

A deeply-rooted sense of melancholy seeps out with the man's every word, assumedly done so unconsciously, and the dancing of sadness in the air is something Analisa, unfortunately, cannot remain blissful toward. With the lock upon her curiosity door shattering as she notices the shimmer of despair within the male's eyes, she is further drawn into whatever enchanting life he had put forth, without ever truly realising it. "What happened to all of us?"