Chapter 10

Melona

The days I was stuck in bed flew by rather quickly all thanks to Eris’ mother keeping me busy with helping her with the Lammas Ball. Every now and then she would bring by stacks of papers and fabric selections. Each of us taking hours to make the decisions  and set up on how the main palace would be decorated.

   Still, as wonderful as my mother in law to be is. There was nothing more wonderful then the day Eris and the Healer allowed me to get out of bed.

   Walking without my head spinning was still a challenge, but I was determined to be able to move freely again. That’s what I was doing a few days layer when I herd the crashing and the cursing so vile it could have curdled milk.

   One of those voices was Eris’. Out of concern I dashed down the main stairs. Scurrying to the bottom to watch in horror as Niran holds the blade of his sword to Eris’ neck.

   Everything in me snapped. My mind no longer spun but sharpened until there was nothing but that image locked in my mind. One moment I am at the bottom of the stairs. The next my shield is pushing back the massive brute. The force of it landing him on his ass, and knocking the sword from his grip.

   He swears at me as he tries to pick himself back up. Bitterly, but I don’t listen. I back him up against the exit on the other side of the room. Away from Eris. Away from my male.

   “Get out”, I snarl at him. The blade that had been at Eris throat I had picked up from the ground as I passed Eris now in hand. My body between the two brothers. My hand skillfully  lowering it to something valuable. Something that no male would want to loose.

   “You don’t order me around, bitch”, he snaps.

   I press the blade further into his groin. “I have had both Peregryn and Illyrian tutors. So when I say I am capable of killing you, I am not bluffing. Now, get out.”

   “I would listen brother”, Eris grunts as he comes to stand behind me. “Melona is not one to lie.”

   Niran snarls at him and I drag the blade over his thigh only enough to cut the fabric of his pants. That grabs his attention.

   His father’s brown eyes watch the two of us with hatred as he reaches for the door nob. Turning it and slides his body through the opening.

   “You two are going to regret this”, Niran howls from the other side of the door after I had used my power to slam it in his face. Every bolt and latch locking firmly. 

    “If you so much as set foot in this house without permission I will slice off your dick and make you eat it!”, I scream back at him. Only does my mind stop running once I’ve speared the sword straight through the oak door. A startled yelp coming from the side before silence. 

   “That is a very old door”, Eris winces.

   “Seriously?!”, I gasp out with ragged breath. “You’re brother comes to kill you and you’re worried about a door?! Mother dammit Eris!”

   He blinks at me with a swollen eye and split lip.

   “How are you not angry about nearly having your throat cut open?”, I breath and once again reach up to hold his face. My hands shaking from the amount of energy it took to use my shielding alone. The conviction of my body lowering quickly as I try to heal him.

   “Melona, don’t waist your energy on me. I can heal myself”, he takes my hands in his as my eyes start to grow heavy.

   “But he tried to hurt you”, I whimper.

   “And it wont be the last time he will try”, he sighs and scoops me up with ease. Startling me a bit I cling to his shirt as he brings me back up the stairs.

   “But it’s not right”, I mutter as I let myself lay my head on his chest. His heart hammering in his rib cage, but he doesn’t answer me as he brings me back to my room.

   The sheets are cool to the touch and soothing as he lays me down. Tucking me in only to pause and look up at me. Those amber eyes searching for something in my face.

   “Melona, I. . .”, the words stick in his throat. His lips having trouble forming the words, but he sighs heavily and gives into them. “Thank you.”

   It is my turn to pause and watch him. It was obvious he hadn’t used those words in a very long time and meant them.

   “No one has protected me like that, ever”, he says sitting on the bed beside me. “Not since I was a child.”

   “It doesn’t bother your ego?”, I ask.

   He smiles a bit. A real smile warm and soft. “No, it didn’t”, he laughs. Deep and load as his eyes turn upward. “Mother above, I am relieved. I knew you knew how to wield weapons, but I wasn’t sure how well. Seeing all that shows me that you are capable of protecting yourself.”

   That laugh both saddens me and sparks some hope in my heart.

   “Eris”, I murmur.

   “And for once, I’m not alone”, he realizes as he looks at me. “You didn’t even hesitate.”

   “Let’s call it even for you saving me from the poison?”, I offer and he nods in agreement.

   “Thank you Melona”, he smiles again.

(Hey everybody,

Just letting you know I got one busy schedual this coming week. It's gunna be a stinker. Not sure how much I'll be able to update, and if you skipped my "100" note to you all. If you enjoy my writing I have a another account I share with a friend call "JuniperandDevon". I'm Juniper. There you'll find another original story called "Going Nowhere". It's got Fae in it if that sweetens the deal, and is updated weekly on either Friday or Saturday. Sunday if I'm running realy behind. If you do decide to read it, hope you enjoy it, and thank ypu all so much for being here.

Love,
Lady Thyme)