Chapter 23

Melona

That night Eris had walked me back to my chambers with his hand tightly holding my own. He didn't even falter when he passed gossiping groups that watched our laced fingers as if they where somehow disgusting. The purest simplest way of displaying affection seemed to be hated, but he no seemed to care.

Somehow a fire grew in him in every step. A purpose.

"You really believe me?", I ask once more from the fear in my gut, and not having the experience of not having someone look at me with disapproval after hearing maybe my darkest secret.

"I believe you", he'd reassure me every time I asked on our way down below. Each time placing a soft peck to my cheek, and I knew he did.

Thank the Mother.

He left with a long and unhurried kiss after slipping inside the rooms, and a promise that everything would be okay. That he still wanted to keep me. That he would find a way to clear up this mess of new information that scared me to the core.

We'd do this together.

Still, that didn't stop Tyren's words from cutting me every time I thought of them.

Mates? All these years and I never really thought of it that way. Father had always wanted boys. I think he would have been thrilled to have as many children as Beron is able. He always favored Thesan despite his more feminine tendencies, and tried to train it out of him, but that was a part of Thesan that gave him the perfect personality to rule. Delicate and compassionate where my father lacked.

Father never seemed to have a time of day for me while growing up. Perhaps for the same reason Tyren took me under his wing (even before she died). I look remarkably like my mother, it probably was painful for both of them.

Where Father distanced himself, Tyren grew closer. It really wouldn't be that hard to see Tyren as my father, but physically I cannot see him in me anywhere.

Life is a strange thing.

I sigh and stand from the mirror I have been sitting at the past hours trying to find Tyren in me. Slipping on my "everywhere" shoes and grab a coat on my way out. Convincing the Guards posted at my door took some convincing, but when I mentioned complaining to Eris they became very eager to escort me to where ever I pleased.

Mean, I know, but I am not going to be stuck down here for the next month or so. So I let them follow a good distance behind as I explored the gardens. The frost tipped trees vibrant in all their glory along with Autumn flowers such marigolds, poppies, golden rod, queen Anne's lace and sunflowers.

I take my time in enjoying them all, but happen to stumble over a coddle stone court yard where many court females have gathered for some sort of spectacle. Curious as to what was going on I come by their side. Many gasping at my seemingly sudden arrival and bowing deeply for me. I offer a short smile before it falters when I realize what they were watching.

All four Vanserra brothers clade in fighting leathers as they duel each other. Each against the other in practicing their skills of sword, knife, and power alike. Well, the twins Tumid and Larken seem to prefer to work together in cornering both Niran and Eris into corners and situations much to the two's benefit. Often sharing quick glances in the other's direction.

Daemati. I realize.

That's when I final got to see the tales of these fire breathing brothers legended on battlefields. Each raging with their own kind of fire. Each terrifying and splendid in their own way.