Chapter 14

Melona

After that day we practiced dancing together ever spare moment we could find.

   Between Eris’ mornings filled with paperwork, my lessons with Tyren, and helping her Ladyship with deciding on the Lammas balls many avenues. Those few hours where we could talk everything out with each other became a comfort.

   “I think a nice pumpkin orange and beige would suit the amount of grains we harvested this year”, he smiles.

   “And I think I just might go and give Tumid a piece of my mind”, I grit my teeth.

   “I just might let you”, he chuckles softly and holds me a bit closer as we sway together as the sun begins to set.

   That’s when Eris head tilts to the side as if he where trying to listen to something being whispered to him. His brows furrowing together and concentrates harshly on the floor.

    “Eris?”, I ask but he hushes me. 

    So I stayed quiet only to have him pull me out of the way as an arrow shatters through a window and lodges where I had been moments before. Gasping I find myself placed behind him. Clutching his shirt as another is shot and barely misses his stomach as he catches it in his hand. Snarling as he barks orders for his guards to actually do something. Another arrow shot but this time I had enough time to cast a blanket of my light around us as Eris drags me through the door. The guards now in the room firing back while the ones in the ground seek them out in the growing dark.

   “Who was that?”, I ask franticly as Eris pushes me along.

    “I don’t know”, he answers with a snarl. “I will find out, but first I need you safe.”    

    “No”, I say turning to face him. Placing my hands on his chest. “You promised me you wouldn’t lock me away.”

   He opens his mouth to protest but nothing but begging came out. “Melona, please.”

   “No, either you’re going to wait with me until the guards come back or I go with you to hunt”, I growl and he gives me a look of defeat.

   Another window breaks down the hall and this time something, someone crawls in with a bow and quiver in hand. Even before the arrow was fired my shield was cocooned around us and the wood splintered and shattered over it on contact.

   “Get me closer”, Eris orders and I move the shield down the hall as he walks. Then building speed until he slips out from my lights safety as his whole body blazed with flames. Dancing around the assailant he draws his fire over the back of their legs. When the attacker arched at the sheering pain Eris used that natural reaction to add to the blow he deals to the back of their head. Sending them out cold and sprawled out on the floor as more guards round the corner.

   “What exactly am I paying you all for?”, he sneers as they come to drag him away. They all silently drag them away as Eris comes back to my side.

    As soon as he is within reach I grab onto him and wrap my arms tightly around his waist. Taking in deep breaths of the smoke still clinging to the clothing as I begin to shake.

   “Are you okay?”, he asks into my hair. Gripping the back of my head to keep me close.

   “Yeah, I just - ”, I lay my cheek into his chest. “This is the third attempt on both of our lives and I’ve only been here a month and a half.”

   “I know”, he sighs. “I know. I’m sorry you have to suffer through this. I’ll try and figure out a way to lessen this stress for you.”

   “I don’t think we can, but thank you for trying”, I sigh.

   “And thank you for your assistance. You take orders very well”, even with my face hidden away I can hear the smile in his voice.

   “You’re welcome”, I smile.

    Slowly he lowers himself a bit and begins to pick me up. Watching my every move to see if I would protest, but I don’t. I want him to hold me maybe as much as he does. So I let him carry me away with my arms draped over his shoulders. Resting my head on his shoulder as he carries me back to my room.

     Even when he went to lay me down I refused to let him go. Even if my mind told me that this wasn’t a good idea I didn’t care. I don’t want to be alone after nearly dying again. I don’t want Eris to be alone.

    “Please, please stay”, I murmur. My voice shaking softly as my arms tighten around his neck.

   “Are you sure?”, he asks quietly. I nod and pull him closer with a pleading whimper.

    He smiles softly and nods before slipping beside me. At first we laid there quietly clinging to each other in the dark of my room. The crackling of the fire warming the space, but even that didn’t stop me from crying.

    “Shhh, it’s okay little one. I’ve got you”, he murmurs into my ear. “I’ve got you. You’re safe.”

   “I’m not worried about me. I’m worried about you. How – How could you have lived like this for so long?”, I sob and hide away in his shirt. Soaking it no doubt, but he doesn’t protest. He simply runs his nimble fingers through my thick locks.

   “I find it utterly remarkable how anyone can develop a resilience to pretty much anything when they don’t have any other choice then to be resilient”, he hums as his other hand smooth’s out the fabric of my dress around my waist. Drawing circles over my sides with his thumb that quieted my mind with ease. “You’re stronger then you give yourself credit for Melona, and as for me, well, I have had many decades to become accustom to this sort of life style.”

   “It’s not right”, I mutter tiredly as sleep starts to take me. I’m not used to using up so much power so quickly.

   “Maybe not, but I’m glade I have you know by my side to face it all”, he coos and nuzzles his nose into my forehead before placing a brush of a kiss there.

    “Me too”, I mumble as he begins to hum our song. His warmth safely wrapped around me