( chapter eight )

( ETERNALLY YOURS, YOUR DARLING )

Dear Edith, 

        This is just a quick letter to give you the address to write to me. It's my first day of training and I'm only a little nervous. I'm really hoping that my asthma doesn't act up, because that would be a terrible way to show everyone that I'm fit to fight in the war. 

        Thinking about you always. I love you.

Eternally yours,
Steve

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

Dear Steve,

        I miss you terribly, I'm not going to lie. But I know what this means to you and I am never going to be someone who says that you can't do something. You are one of the best men I know (don't tell Gordon) and the Army is lucky to have you.

        But, I beg you to be careful, please. How are you supposed to spend your future with me if you're killing yourself by pushing your lungs too hard. Do you have the asthmatic cigarettes? I can send you more if you need them. Along with some of Mrs. Finch's pie. Gordon would be jealous because I didn't offer any to him, but with your asthma I believe you deserve it for all the hard work. 

        I hope nobody is giving you too much grief about your stature. As I said before, you have one of the best hearts and probably ten times more guts than the rest of them. I'm so proud of you, Steve. Seriously. So is Bucky, even if he doesn't show it well. 

        And your mom. Sarah would be so proud and excited for you, Steve.

        I love you, always.

Your Darling,
Edith.

⚬ ⚬ ⚬

Dear Edith,

        It's not so bad here. Sure, it's a little ego bruising to be the last guy to finish, but I know my limits and I know not to push them. And sure, I may not be the strongest or the fastest, but I'm fighting for my country and that's the important thing here. 

        Nobody should be forced to give up their freedom. 

        Some of the exercises they have us doing are a little straining. I go to bed every night with my muscles aching, but I know it's worth it. Is it too late to hit that growth spurt? Maybe with all the muscle building I'll fill out and look something like Bucky. Wouldn't that be something?

        I hope you're doing well. I miss you so much and sometimes wish that I was in your arms instead of training, but I have a good feeling about this. Like this is where I'm supposed to be. Have you heard any word from Gordon? I hope he's not too detailed when telling you about the war, but just enough so that you don't worry and know that he's fine.