( chapter thirteen )

( HOW WAS THIS FAIR? )

THE NEWSPAPER SLAPPED THE TABLE AS IT WAS THROWN DOWN IN FRONT OF HER, EDITH TRYING NOT TO SPILL THE TEA SHE WAS TAKING A SIP OF IN SURPRISE. The front page, above the fold, read in huge, black letters 400 PRISONERS LIBERATED. Edith wasn't able t read more before Francis was slapping a well manicured hand over the article, smiling widely, "Well, it seems I was wrong about your Steve."

Edith found herself blinking up at her, carefully settling her cup and saucer on the table in front of her, moving Francis' hand off of her paper to get a better look. Dorothy, Connie, and Colette were watching the two, Edith giving them each a look over the top of the paper before she started to read the article. Steve had been gone for a couple of weeks, traveling around Army bases to give the same show to the soldiers and boost moral over in Europe. He had wrote to her that it was more rainy than New York and how he missed her, wishing that he could stay with his wife, but that this needed to be done. Though, that had been a week ago, which had slightly worried her, but it seemed she now knew what he had been up to.

He had saved the lives of four hundred men.

Edith soaked up the article, the worry melting away, being replaced by pride. She couldn't believe that that was her Steve, her husband. He was getting everything he wanted, clearly a war hero now. Captain America had become a symbol from the USO tours, but now he was so much more. He was hope. Hope that they could beat the Axis, that the Nazis weren't going to take over and implement whatever agenda that Hitler had.

"He was in the USO tour, was he not?" Colette asked after Edith put the paper down, her face hurting from how widely he was beaming from the article and pride. She nodded, looking at the others who were giving her smiles back. Francis was even smirking at her with a look of interest. Something about it made her a little uncomfortable. Like Francis was thinking something she shouldn't be.

"Well, hopefully he's serving with Bucky. The two of them seemed to be basically attached at the hip," Connie commented, side-eyeing Francis the same way that Dorothy was, both of them obviously thinking something along the same lines as Edith. She was going to say something she shouldn't. Edith could feel herself bracing for it, her muscles tensing. She glanced down at her tea, watching it ripple with movement. Someone must have bumped the table.

"How close are you and Steve now?" Francis asked, Edith eyes automatically going to her face where her smile had turned sharp. "I mean, with him touring and now getting into the Army, you must have grown apart some, right?" Edith eyes flicked down to her left hand, taking in the blue ribbon that was firmly on her ring finger. The only time it came off was when she needed to bathe or she was cooking and didn't want to make it dirty. Even though it was already darkening from the wear and collecting of the dirt. Pleasant shivers cascaded down her spine when she remembered what had happened before Steve had tied the ribbon around her finger.