( chapter seventeen )

( NEVER LETTING GO AGAIN )

BEING THROWN INTO THE S.H.I.E.L.D GYM MATS WAS NOT HOW EDITH LIKED TO SPEND HER MORNING. Natasha was always brutal, enjoyed seeing the way Edith's skin bruised a dark purple. And it wasn't in a sadistic way that Edith thought. Natasha liked to see her overcome the bruises, get stronger from them, learn from the pain. 

But, yeah, having thighs around your throat before getting thrown to the mat was not a fun way to get knocked down. Maybe for some people, Edith was finding out in this new century, but Edith would always prefer big, beefy blondes. And their newly well proportioned bodies. Though, she still couldn't help but miss when Steve was only inches taller than her instead of a foot. Plus, the only thing that really changed about Steve from before and after the procedure was how long Steve could run without his inhaler. 

Edith lay where she landed for a bit, chest heaving as she stared at the gym ceiling. Natasha always pushed her to her limits, which was good, she was learning a lot and could even best the red head sometimes in hand to hand. It had been several months since Steve had dropped her off in this century and told her he needed to get back. And it wasn't bad. It took some time to get used to. It was so loud, everything in constant motion. Plus, the screens were always so bright and the advancement in technology spectacular. Clint Barton was showing her the ropes in that aspect and always sent her funny dog videos that made her smile when she was feeling low, sitting in the apartment that was going to be her and Steve's when he finally defrosted. 

They were taking it slowly, Nick had told her. He didn't know what the side effects of being frozen for seventy years could do to the extremities and they weren't going to risk it. He let her see him, though. She had sat by his warming body and watched him, tried to memorize his face in case something did happen. No matter what the Steve from the distant future said, they were changing things with her being there and something could still go wrong. 

"You're getting better," Natasha told her, smirking when Edith grunted at her with a turn of her head. Natasha's green eyes stared at her, always evaluating, but Edith couldn't care right now. She was starting to ache in her muscles and she was starting to wonder how long the two of them had been at it. When Edith had arrived at headquarters, the sun had just started coming up. Natasha was already there and almost done her own warm up. 

The woman held the strictest work out schedule of any of the agents that worked here. It obviously got results, Edith having muscles she had really only seen on Steve, but it was hard work. Some days, she just wanted to stay curled up in bed and watch some of the classic TV that everyone has been recommending to her. And, if she found a guilty pleasure in Dog Cops, the show Clint had showed her, then nobody needed to know. 

"You're gonna have to get up again, Edith," Amusement. That's what was in Natasha's voice. When they had first started this companionship, it would have been some cold remark correcting what she had done wrong to get her thrown onto the mat. Now, it was her poking fun in the way she knew how to. Edith liked this Natasha over the cold and scolding one in the beginning.