( chapter sixteen )

( WELCOME TO THE FUTURE )

EDITH STOOD UNCOMFORTABLY BY STEVE, IN AN OFFICE, THE BLACK MAN WITH AN EYE PATCH STARING AT THE TWO OF THEM WITH THE MOST ANGRY GLARE EDITH HAD EVER SEEN. He was wearing a lot of leather, or looked to be, and Edith watched his good eye narrow at Steve, who had just finished telling his story. Well, his partial story. Something about him being from the future and coming back to try and stop something terrible from happening. Edith stood beside him, dressed in the most casual skirt and blouse combo she had had in her closet. Steve had given her a magic suit that formed around her by the press of a button and if Edith wasn't itching to get the bracelet-thing off of her wrist so she didn't have to feel that sensation again, she would be lying. 

The black man, who Steve had called Fury, leaned forward in his chair, his good eye still narrowed, "You expect me to believe that you're Steve Rogers? And on top of that, from eleven years in the future?" The man scoffed, before leaning back and shaking his head. Steve let out a breath of frustration, which made Edith look at him, to Fury, then back to him. She shifted from foot-to-foot as the tension rose in the room. Steve then put his hands on his hips and stood for a second, his eyebrows furrowed in thought.

"Carol told me about how you lost your eye," Steve told Fury, who's eyes sparkled with recognition upon hearing the name. His body became less tense, but Edith could tell that he was still slow to trust either of them. Especially the man who claimed to be Captain America. "Also, I didn't even know that you had a Flerken as a pet."

Edith reared back at the word Flerken. What the hell was a Flerken? Edith stared at Steve, who glanced at her, and rose a questioning eyebrow at him. He gave her a small smile and a look that told her that he would tell her later. She crossed her arms and huffed, but kept quiet. Fury just sat there for a moment, taking in the two of them in. He sighed, before shaking his head and getting up, crossing around his desk to lean against the front of it.

"If you really are from the future, then you already know that we found past you in the wreckage of the Valkyrie and have you defrosting in New York headquarters right now." Edith took a step back at the news, watching in shock as Steve nodded solemnly. She felt her knees start to buckle and reached out for Steve, who wrapped an arm around her waist in support and pulled her close to his body. Steve was... Steve had frozen. He hadn't drowned, he hadn't died. He had been frozen for seventy years. She wondered if anyone had searched for him. If any one had looked for the wreckage? Edith found herself bristling a squishing closer to Steve at the thought of Agent Carter searching for Steve. "So, that doesn't explain her." 

"Did you really expect to throw me into this day and age and be fine? Did you think I would cope because I was Captain America and I was the perfect soldier? Just because I have scientifically modified DNA to be what I am, I am still a man. I needed help, not to be set loose and spend nights beating a punching bag instead of dealing with my PTSD. And Edith..." Steve paused and looked down at the girl. His eyes were filled with such affection that Edith felt herself melt into him, her heart feeling warm and huge in her chest. His hand squeezed her hip, the two of them sharing a smile before Steve turned back to Fury. "Edith was my rock. She was always my rock. And she'll help me, when I finally wake up. And maybe things will play out differently. And everything will be better this way."