( chapter twelve )

( TIED TOGETHER BY A RIBBON )

warning: steve doesn't 'die' a virgin because of this chapter. if this makes anyone uncomfortable, the real smut starts at the hotel room. it is sprinkled throughout the chapter, but they don't get naked until the hotel room.

EDITH WAS READY FOR HER DAY BEFORE THE SUN WAS UP. She was dressed in a pink blouse and black skirt, her hair curled and her make-up done. Which was all for Steve, because he was coming back today and the giddy butterflies were swarming in her stomach. Because of that feeling, the wait to see her significant other was torturous. Edith just wanted to be wrapped up in Steve's arms again, warm and safe and home

She was reading a book, the Hobbit, that had been on her brother's bookshelf, when the front door was knocked on. Edith found herself jumping up, not caring about the fact that she dropped the book without marking the page. She would have to find it later, but right now her main priority was seeing Steve. Steve, who had been gone for six months touring to promote war bonds, Steve. Steve, who Edith's pretty sure was the love of her life, Steve. Steve, who was simply her home

Edith found this out when she flung the door open and immediately wrapped herself around Steve as soon as she saw it was him. 

He burned hot now, a side effect of whatever they had done to him. It was one of the things that she enjoyed from this whole procedure, knowing that if she was ever cold around him, he would warm her up. And, as much as Steve was probably enjoying the new found height, she missed her small Steve, who was fragile but that seemed to make him even stronger. 

A yelp escaped her mouth when she was scooped up, Steve carrying her through the threshold of her apartment. Edith found herself clinging to Steve's neck, the man having a shit eating grin on his face as he walked over to the couch and plopped down, Edith still in his lap. When she knew it was safe, she unhooked her arms from around his neck and smacked him on the chest. Which only really made him laugh. Edith realized it probably felt like she was tickling or tapping him or something. 

The smile never faded from Steve's face. Edith couldn't help but melt into him at the soft look of affection in his eyes and the way that the curve of his lips were holding all the love and admiration he wanted to say but didn't seem to have the words. She understood that. The feelings she had for Steve were fierce and ever present. Missing him was like missing a limb. And whenever he was here, beside her, it was like she had found something she hadn't known she lost. 

Steve kissed her own smile softly, in greeting. Edith's hand moved to cup his cheek, keeping their lips connected and pulling him back in when he tried to separate. It was a slow kiss, different then the ones they had shared in her bed all those months ago, which were exploring and passionate and hard. The two of them had been trying to get to know each other, in a way, and Edith's pretty sure Steve wanted to show off his kissing technique.