Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"Wake up Slayer!"

Yugi jumped, suddenly awoken by one of the guards yelling at him to get up. He didn't have time to grab his weapons before he was yanked out the door.

"What is going on here?" Yugi demanded.

The guard ignored him and stopped, taking out a set of chains and attaching them to Yugi's wrists.

"Again! What is going on here?!" Yugi yelled at the guard. This time the guard answered him.

"We know you communicate with the Vampire who took Slayer Phoenix. You are going to tell the Leader what you know. The chains are a precaution."

Yugi sighed and let the guard usher him to the elevators that would take him up to the Leader. The trip this time was much shorter than Yugi wanted it to be, and he was basically shoved inside the office and slammed down into one of the chairs.

"Let me just make this simple for you Slayer." The Leader said, turning around in his chair so Yugi and him were face to face. "The faster you tell me exactly what happened after you were knocked out, the faster you can go back to training."

"That is just it!" Yugi nearly yelled but then remembered who he was talking to. "I don't know exactly what happened! It started with just a dream and now I'm hearing his voice in my head!"

"There has to be some kind of explanation to this." The man said. "You must be hiding something."

"I am telling you I don't know anything!" Yugi finally yelled. He was trying to stall the man so he could have time to leave the Headquarters and go find Yami on his own if he had to.

"Then explain this." The man tossed the note Yami had left Yugi.

"You went through my things?!" Yugi was on the verge of jumping across the desk and killing or seriously injuring the man.

"You stay at the Institute, you have no privacy once you gained the title of Slayer." The man said as calmly as possible. "You can denounce the title and I will leave you be, or you could tell me what you know."

"I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!" Yugi screamed and flames shot up from around him. The chains melted and before the guard or the Leader knew what had happened, Yugi had melted the elevator doors and was sliding down the elevator shaft to the bottom floor.

Yugi ran as fast as he could, the flames still around him, down the hall to his quarters. He passed a few other Slayers who were just staring at him with the cold, unemotional stare the other Slayers possessed. He didn't care about them anymore. He was tired about being harassed by the APFH Leader over things like that. It wasn't the first time it had happened either.

The first time it was over his close association to the vampires and werewolves he knew.

"Why are you friends with these creatures? They belong locked in chains!" The Leader said, standing up and slamming his hands down on the desk for emphasis.

Yugi was still a Slayer in Training and was fearful of this man. He had not had much training, in fact it was only his second week at the Headquarters. Yugi didn't want to anger the man, but he also needed to stick up for his friends.

"They protected me all these years! Why can't you do the same for them?" Yugi asked a little louder than he should. Yugi barely had time to dodge the glass being thrown at him, the glass crashing on the wall behind him.

Yugi was crouched on the floor, ready to dodge anything else being thrown at him.

"Are you willing to risk your upcoming title as Slayer if they get out of line?" The Leader said, now seated again.

"Yes I am. I have faith in them." Yugi said, standing once again. His hands were shaking but he willed himself to calm himself.

"Fine they can stay with guards to watch over them. If they step out of line, you will be denounced!"

Yugi finally had enough of all this. He yanked open the door to his room, grabbed all the weapons out of the weapons closet and threw them into a duffel bag. Yugi grabbed everything else he could of his and stuffed them in as well before running back out the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Yugi turned and saw Nova standing there with his own stuff as well.

"Where are you going?" Yugi asked.

"I'm heading out to find Phoenix before something happens to here. I feel that something already has though."

"Well I'm heading out of here. I'm sick of the abuse from the Lea- well I can't call him that anymore. I'm sick of the abuse from Kaiba about everything that goes on." Yugi sighed. "I'm heading out the back entrance and I need to move fast! I have a few other safe houses of mine where I stay on missions."

"Well I'm going with you! I got a few other safe houses as well. We can live day to day until we are ready to hunt down Yami." Nova said.

Yugi nodded and both of them took off to the training grounds which was where the back entrance only Slayers know of was located. There was no one around and Nova took off through the door.

Yugi turned around and looked at the training grounds he knew so well. The place where he had trained and learned everything he needed to in order to survive. This was his safe haven where he knew he was protected at all costs. And now he was about to leave all that behind.

With a sigh, Yugi stepped through the door and took off after Nova into the city.