18

Leah Beau

Mason and I are lounging around in our hotel room after barely escaping that restaurant without Mike Hastings noticing us and I'm more than just glad of that. It's a dangerous game that we are playing and we have to acknowledge that or else we might be digging our own graves soon.

"You know what we should do?" Mason suddenly speaks up, his position not changing on the bed as he stares at the ceiling. He's bored.

"What?" I don't move from my chair as I read the menu of this hotel. Food is priority.

"We should play cards. Whoever loses has to take one thing off their body." He says now shifting on the bed to face me, his elbow holding him up.

"You're going to lose every game on purpose." I mutter my eyes going over different options of pizzas.

"If there's one thing you should know about me, it is that I don't like losing. So get that thought out of your head." He smirks from the bed at me and I place the menu on the table gently getting up from my spot.

"We don't have any cards." I say looking around and he raises a deck of cards in his hands, a mischievous smirk dancing on his lips.

"I hope you know that I don't like losing either." I mumble lowly, my own smirk starting to creep its way on to my lips.

He hums as he sits cross legged on the bed and I join him crossing my legs and sitting down on the bed as well. "I like a challenge." His voice is low and husky with a hint of seductiveness.

"Which game do you wanna play?" I ask him snatching the deck of cards from his hands and he scowls at me.

"Gin Rummy." He says and this time I scowl.

"Rummy. Gin rummy is poop." He laughs at my words. I pull out the cards from its pack and smirk at him as I give them a quick shuffle.

The smirk on his face falters when he sees me shuffle but then he holds out his hand asking me to hand him the cards, I raise a questioning eyebrow at him but hand him the cards nonetheless. He smirks as he shows off his own shuffling skills and this time the smirk on my face falls off.

He shows me two of his tricks and I gulp. He might as well not lose here...

I shake my head as I smirk.

"Just because you can shuffle cards, doesn't mean you're good at playing it." I say proudly and he raises an eyebrow at me questioning me but then nods as he shuffle the cards more and gives me and himself a hand of 10 cards placing the rest on the side in the center.

"Ladies first." He says gesturing me to start the game and I put on my poker face as I pick up my hand of cards arranging them in the order I like. A set of three is already made for me and I resist the urge to smirk as I keep my face straight. My expression has to remain neutral so that he remains in the dark and can't guess what my cards are or at what stage I am at.

Looking at the card I picked up, I stare at it for a few seconds even though I know I have no use for it in order to make him think that I might have cards related to it. I throw back the cards and he looks at it and then his cards. He reaches out for the card placing it in his hands and stares at his cards for a while and then throws back a card. Not the card I need.

Taking another card from the stack I place it in my hand immediately and throw out my extra card. My second set almost done. The game continues forth just like this.

My mouth falls open as Mason throws his card back but this time facing down. Game over.

"I told you I don't like losing." He smirks at me showing me his 3 sets of cards and I look at them. My hand reaches out for the card he just placed facing down and I scoff.