Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own the following characters: Katniss , Peeta , Gale, Effie, Haymitch, Snow, Prim, and Caeser, they are owned by Suzanne Collins.

I turned 10 yesterday and my brother was taking me to the woods to teach me how to shoot a bow, throw knifes, accurately I might  add. Also to teach me to fish and set snares. He  has already taught me how to swim and thought that teaching me hunting skills would help if I was ever chosen in the games. The Hunger Games happened once every year, it was punishment for rebelling against the capital. so every year they chose 2 12-18 year olds from each district. My name would be put in for the first time next year. I was afraid.

"So. you do know how to hold a bow right?" My brother Marcus asks making me jump slightly.

"Yes. you put your left hand on the wood of the bow and your right on the string. put the feather of the arrow in between your right pointer and middle finger. hold the bow up so the arrow leads to your target. It's quite simple. you know I've used one before." I say Putting the instructions together.

"Yes I know you know how but that's different then actually doing it." he retorts while shooting an apple high in a tree. I do the same only hitting a closer apple than him. Marcus motions  his head telling me to get the apple. I sling my bow over my shoulder and start climbing. i get to the last branch that can hold my weight and stand on my tip toes grabbing the apple and the arrow. then I shimmy down the tree.Marcus has already come back with my apple.

"The games won't go easy on you. You have to go faster than that." He says while sharpening an arrow with a hunting knife.

                                                                    four years later

Clunk! The knife hits the target right where I intended it.

"nice shot." Katniss comes up and sits by me. we where going to our first reaping a week from today. Gale shoots a  Bird that's only a few feet away.

"we should probably get going the Hob is busiest  around four." I point our while retrieving my knife.

"Yeah." gale sighs. I knew what he was thinking. The woods where like our escape from reality. They helped us stay sane against the cruel grip of the capitol.

                                                                         At  Peeta's Bakery

My mom works at Peeta and his family's bakery, she has ever since my dad and older brother, Jordan died in the mine accident. my other brother, Marcus, currently works at the mines and I help out at the bakery.

"Ahh!" I hear Peeta say as he burns himself on the oven. he sticks a cold rag I gave him on the burn.

"You know someday I'm not gonna be here and your gonna kill yourself." I say mockingly.

"Ha,ha. very funny. You wouldn't be working here if it weren't for me you know." he says back. I go over to take the bread out of the oven.

"Wow Peeta. I would run your mom is going to freak when she finds out you burned the bread." I say cringing at the memory of what happened last time.

"shoot!" he says loudly. The next thing you know Peeta is outside getting yelled at and throwing bread to the pigs again. I remember when Katniss was out there. When she was still to scared to hunt. But not today she could hunt now.

                                                                             a week later 

"Marcus!" I yell at my big brother as he runs out the door. I run after him In a pair of my mother shoes and an old yellow dress. It was his last reaping, and my first. We get to the sign in station and I slowly walk forward ready to go through the exact directions Marcus had told me.

"Name?" the Peacekeeper says expectantly.

"Arya, Hope." I say proudly. She pricks my finger and yells for the next person in line. I go over to the front of the justice building and stand by Katniss. in five minutes Effie trinket and Haymich are on stage  ready to announce this years tributes I freeze as My name is called to enter the 70th hunger games. I don't even hear the second name called as I walk up to the stage and stand by Effie. 

P.S. Arya's name (In this story.) Is pronounced A-REE-A.