eleven

He pulled out papers that I wondered how he even had, such as my social security card and birth certificate along with medical information.

"Have you had time to grieve?" He asked.

I gave the smallest shrug

"I'll take that as a no"

"So we will be assisting you with funeral arrangements- I'm going to go ahead and assume a closed casket, we will go look at caskets and such. Do you have a day you would like to do it?" He asked.

"You want me to pick a day to bury my dad?" I asked as he put a calendar in front of me.

"Yes, the sooner the better"

It seemed as if he almost had no sympathy towards the situation.

"I guess, Friday?" I spoke slowly.

He nodded, marking that down.

"We can do the wake Friday and the funeral Saturday" he mumbled out, nodding.

"Luckily your dad had a huge life insurance policy on himself and you- so we could easily cover every step and have some money left over for you and college and such" he spoke slowly.

"So now let's talk about you" he hummed.

"You don't look to have any immediate family, so we don't have many options- unless you're aware of a family friend that would be willing to take custody of you" he spoke slowly, making tears well in my eyes.

"We don't have any" I cleared my throat.

"Okay- well I'm going to contact a few orphanages and try my hardest to get you into a nice, maybe all girls home?" He spoke slowly.

I didn't argue

But that wasn't happening.

"Can I go to the restroom?" I asked.

"Of course, hurry back" he grinned.

I stood, immediately pulling my phone out

I went into the bathroom, ordering an Uber

Once they were close enough I basically pace walked outside, immediately getting into the mans car who knew my name

They couldn't put me in an orphanage if they didn't know where I lived.

I thanked the man, laying him through the app as I got out at my house.

I went inside, locking the door behind me, looking at the house.

I felt a tear fall down my cheek

I could live by myself

I have a license, I can get a job and save to buy a car.

After that I could keep a job and provide for myself- it couldn't be too hard.

I went to my dad's bed room; falling into his bed, smelling his cologne as I did.

I let out a sob.

I felt the asthma symptoms

I couldn't breathe

My chest hurt

I grabbed my inhaler that my dad had in his bedside table

Just as I put it to my lips I stopped myself

Living by myself wouldn't be the hardest

But not living period might just be the easiest