chapter five.

TEENAGE NIGHTMARE
CHAPTER FIVE — PART ONE.
THE BACK TO SCHOOL BLUES.

( gif by SPDERVERSE )

           JP had gotten shit-faced drunk enough times in his life to be able to retain every memory from the night before, no matter how hard he tried to forget them. He remembered speeding to the nearest gas station and buying himself a six pack, the clerk not bothering to even ask him for his ID; he must've already looked too messed up to question. Between that and at some point waking up in Nancy's backyard, all that really stuck with him was the fight he had with Franny and the unnerving feeling that he had royally fucked up.

           " Are you sure you're okay? " Nancy asked, crossing her arms over her chest as she looked down at JP, who had opted to sitting down against the chain link fence that surrounded the school's courtyard. " You look like shit. "

           " Not all of us can look as pretty as you, Nance. " JP sarcastically jabbed, lifting his head briefly to look at the brunette, who wore a glare on her face. He sighed quietly and hung his head between his knees, leaning his forehead on his arms. " I don't know, honestly, but I'm pretty sure I messed up. Bad. And I have no clue how to make up for it. "

           " I'm sure Franny's okay, the two of you will figure it out. " Nancy insisted, and JP knew she was trying to be supportive, so he decided not to tell her that he had never had an argument with either of his siblings like that before. He hadn't even seen Franny that morning since he hadn't gone home, he didn't have a clue what happened after he left the party, after he left her.

           " Right. " He agreed emotionlessly, flicking his fingers and moving towards his pocket, digging out a pack of cigarettes that he must've also bought from the gas station; not pausing to question it, he pulled one out and quickly looked to Nancy with raised eyebrows.

            She blew a bit of air out of her nose in annoyance, always having hated watching him drown himself in alcohol and cigarettes instead of trying to face his problems head on. Still, she unzipped her purse and grabbed the red lighter, tossing it to it's rightful owner. JP had agreed to let Nancy hold onto his only lighter as a sign of good faith that he wouldn't smoke a pack every day like an addict.

          " So, did Prince Charming pop a tire or what? " He asked, attempting to change the subject as he lit the end of the cigarette, throwing the lighter back to the girl as he inhaled the nicotine. " You nearly pissed your pants riding MJ today. "

         " Ha ha, very funny. " Nancy replied dryly, but her expression changed rather quickly, her mocking smile fading into uncertainty as she glanced away briefly; they were skipping English currently, but neither of them minded, it was the easiest class they had, and they surely wouldn't miss anything from one day. " I'm not sure, I think something happened at the party. Steve hasn't answered any of my calls, and he didn't show up to pick me up, either. "