chapter sixteen.

TEENAGE NIGHTMARE
CHAPTER SIXTEEN — PART ONE.
THE LAB.

           Upon hearing Will's information that the Mind Flayer was weaker in a certain spot in the tunnels than he was in others, Owens had told the soldiers of Hawkins Lab and sent them down into the tunnels to attempt to kill the monster once a...

Upon hearing Will's information that the Mind Flayer was weaker in a certain spot in the tunnels than he was in others, Owens had told the soldiers of Hawkins Lab and sent them down into the tunnels to attempt to kill the monster once and for all. Meanwhile, Joyce and Bob sat at Will's side, Joseph standing off to the side as he just stared of into space. Hopper had gone with the scientists to watch over the soldiers in the tunnels. Mike sat in one of the chairs on the other side of the bed, looking down at his feet while Charlie sat in the doctor's chair, the one with wheels and a lever to rise and lower him. They'd been mostly silent, none of them really having anything to say to break the tension, but Charlie had noticed Will murmuring to himself every now and then.

As he started to pay closer attention, Charlie realized that he was whimpering. He raised his eyebrows and stood up, taking a small step forward towards the afflicted boy. Will didn't seem to notice him, so he slowly lowered his hand into his, trying get his attention. Will instinctively recoiled, then he snapped his head over to see that it was Charlie and he frowned.

" I. . " He began, and Joyce also listened intently as Will finally spoke, his voice just barely above a whisper as it trembled, " I'm. . I'm sorry. . "

Charlie noticed then that his pupils had grown, nearly bursting into his irises as the others in the room looked at each other. Charlie shook his head, gripping Will's hand as he asked, " What? What are you sorry for, Will? "

Joyce shared a nervous look with Bob before she leaned towards Will, flashing him a reassuring smile, " What is it, sweetie? "

Tears gathered in the boy's eyes as he slowly turned his pained gaze away from Charlie to his mother, quietly insisting, " He made me do it. "

Joyce's face contorted in confusion, and she grabbed both of Will's hands as Charlie pulled away from him, eyes drifting over to Mike, who had stood up, gears turning in his head.

" Who? Who made you do what? " Joyce asked, and Will's breathing became labored.

" I told you. They upset him. They shouldn't have done that. " Will stated in a voice that didn't sound like his own, " You shouldn't have done that! "

Then, Mike finally met Charlie's eyes with his own wide eyed look of realization, " The spy. . The spy! "

" Wha— " Joseph started to question, but Mike and Charlie were already bursting out of the room, sprinting down the corridor to find Hopper. Conveniently, around the corner was the big bulky metal door that led to the main lab where they were monitoring the Gate to the Upside Down. The two boys were breathless as they banged on the doors, various hands attempting to pull them away as the guards standing at the doors pushed them, urging them to step away.