chapter nineteen.

TEENAGE NIGHTMARE
CHAPTER NINETEEN — PART ONE.
THE SHED.

             All three Walker siblings jumped when Dustin slammed the book onto the table, opening it to a page he had stuck his finger on while everyone gathered around him to look

             All three Walker siblings jumped when Dustin slammed the book onto the table, opening it to a page he had stuck his finger on while everyone gathered around him to look. It was a black and white drawing of an alien like creature with tentacles growing from its mouth.

             " The Mind Flayer. " He introduced, and Hopper crossed his arms over his chest, lowering his eyebrows.

            " The hell is that? " He questioned, and Dustin sucked in a deep breath, clearly annoyed at everyone else's lack of D&D knowledge.

            " It's a monster from an unknown dimension. It's so ancient that it doesn't even know its true home. " He explained, " It enslaves races of other dimensions by taking over their brains using its highly-developed psionic powers. "

           " Oh, my god, " Hopper groaned, raising his hand to his head, " none of this is real. It's a kids game. "

           " No, it's a manual. " Dustin insisted, looking offended, " And, it's not for kids, so, unless you know something that we don't, this is the best metaphor— "

           " Analogy. " Lucas interrupted, making Dustin glare at him.

            " Analogy? That's what you're worried about?! " Dustin exclaimed, then sighed in frustration, " Fine. An analogy for understanding what the hell this is. "

           Nancy chimed in, trying to understand, " Okay, so, this mind flamer thing— "

           " Flayer. Mind Flayer. "

            " What does it want? " Nancy asked with a sigh.

            " To conquer us, basically. " Dustin replied casually, " It believes it's the master race. "

            " Like-like the Germans? " Steve interjected, earning confused expressions from the group. He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck as Dustin gave him a dumbfounded look.

            ". . . The Nazis? " He suggested, and Steve nodded, face reddening in embarrassment.

             " Y-Yeah, the Nazis. " He agreed, and JP found himself unintentionally frowning at the tall boy as Franny quietly told him it was alright and squeezed his hand in reassurance.