take care

—

I know you've been hurt by someone else
I can tell by the way you carry yourself
If you let me, here's what I'll do
I'll take care of you
I've loved and I've lost

You threw your purse across the room once the elevator opened, also kicking your heels along with the purse. Sighing, you slipped on the sandals you had put beside the entrance of the lounge area of the Avengers tower.

"How'd your date go, Y/N?" Steve asked, sitting in the couch.

"Absolutely horrible," You groaned as you walked past the couch, messing with Steve's hair and going to the outdoor patio.

You stayed out there, looking at the New York skyline. Why couldn't these dates work out? All your dates seemed to be complete shit, all guys you seem to be interested in were complete d-holes.

"May I intrude?" Tony's voice came from behind you, walking down the steps that led towards you. You looked at him, nodding. On the outside, he was calm, collected, full of confidence. But on the inside, he was freaking out.

He was completely and ridiculously in love with you. He loved everything about you, but was too afraid to show it. Of course, the rest of the Avengers knew. But he kept his admiring gaze away for when you weren't paying attention.

"Here," Tony started, taking off his jacket. "It's cold. Windy. You need it more than I do."

You smiled at him as he put his jacket over your shoulders.

"Now, what's up? I don't like seeing you sad," Tony asked, stepping beside you and looking at you as you kept your eyes on the buildings in front of you. 'Tell her, Tony,' He thought. But he wanted to hear you talk your feelings out. You mattered more than he did.

"These stupid dates. The assholes always either talk about themselves the whole time, never paying attention to anything in front of them, or are super creepy, or talk about their ex-girlfriends. I'm not a therapist," You ranted, gripping at the collar of Tony's jacket.

"I getcha. I used to be that asshole," Tony commented, sighing. "They're missing out on a great girl."

"You think so?" Your eyes glittered as you looked up at Tony with a small smile on your face.

"Of course I do," Tony smiled softly at you. 'C'mon Tony. You're good enough. You'll make her happy.'

I'll be there for you, I will care for you
I keep thanking you, just don't know
Trying to run from that, say you're done with that
On your face girl, it just don't show
When you're ready, just say you're ready

"It's just hard to believe," You said, looking down at your sandals moving your hair out of your face.

"I'll make you happy," Tony blurted out. 'Damnit. Not like that, dumbass.'

"What?" You asked, looking at him, confused.

"I'll make you happy, Y/N," Tony said, firmly, clearing his throat to seem more confident.

"Tony, are you listening to yourself?" You asked as you giggled a little. "I've seen you ask at least twenty girls out in one of your parties."

"Y/N, I'm serious," Tony said again, beginning to lose the confidence he built up in himself. "I know I seem like an inconsiderate asshole a lot of the time, but for you... I'd drop everything."

You didn't know how to feel. Was he serious? Or was he playing a trick on you?

"Tony, I really don't have time for this," You sighed, walking away. He grabbed your wrist, spinning you and faced you to him.

"Y/N, please take me seriously. Ask anyone else on the team. I..." Tony's voice trailed off as he gulped. "I love you."

When all the baggage just ain't as heavy
And the parties over, just don't forget me
We'll change the pace and we'll just go slow
You won't ever have to worry,
You won't ever have to hide
And you seen all my mistakes
So look me in my eyes

"You don't have to feel the same. Just hear me out," Tony pleaded. Your body became less tense as you nodded your head, a signal for Tony to go on.

"Ever since I laid my eyes on you, Y/N, I've been head-over-heels for you. Keep in mind, me being open about my feelings is rare, so I'm not playing a sick joke," Tony rambled. "It doesn't have to be now. It doesn't have to be tomorrow, or even this month. Just give me a chance, whenever. I'll treat you like the goddess you are."

You felt your face get warm as he went on. As he continued, it felt like time had stopped as he went on and on about everything he loved about you, with the occasional defense mechanism here and there. Without a warning, you cupped Tony's cheeks and kissed him. It was a soft, slow kiss— sparking something you hadn't felt before. It was love.

Pulling away, Tony looked at you with his jaw dropped.

"Y/N..." Tony's voice whispered as you looked at you. You smiled, grabbing his hand and giving it a small squeeze. "You have no idea on how long I've wanted that to happen."

'Good job, Stark,' He thought to himself as he smiled and held you as you both looked at the New York skyline.