driving

a/n: driving is terrifying and nobody can tell me otherwise

——

You and Tony had been married for twenty years. As the years went along, you decided to start a family. You had two kids, one son and one daughter. Your son was the oldest and your daughter was the youngest, your son being seventeen and your daughter being six. Your son put off driving for the longest time, until he graduated. Today was the day Tony would take him out to drive for the first time.

"Stay safe, okay James?" You kissed him on the forehead as you handed him the keys to your car. He gave you a smile and sighed nervously, the same way Tony did.

"Alright, mom, see ya in a minute," He joked as he ran out to the car and started it.

"If we don't come back, our son killed us," Tony joked as he kissed your cheek and squeezed your hand.

"You're so dramatic, Tones. Go easy on him," You smiled as you walked Tony out the house and watched the two get in the car and leave.

"Mommy," Your six year-old daughter, Morgan, came up from behind you and hugged your leg. "Is James gonna be okay?"

You giggled and nodded. "He'll do his best."

——

"Okay, James, you'll be a U-Turn here, okay? Just turn the wheel all the way," Tony explained as he inhaled deeply, preparing for his son to do his first U-Turn. Tony tried to not seem worried, but he was very bad at hiding it. It wasn't to make his son feel like he was a bad driver at all, he was just having a hard time processing that his son was seventeen and only getting older.

"Alright dad," James nearly whispered as he turned his wheel all the way to the left to make a U-Turn into the opposing lane. A few moments later, he was on the lane Tony had told him to get on.

"You see! You're good, kid, don't be so tense," Tony smiled as he glanced at his son who was clutched the wheel with what seemed like every ounce of energy he had. James chuckled as he loosened up. "It's starting to get dark, we can go home now."

James nodded, taking a turn at a street. As he drove, he dozed off. Though he was seeing what was in front of him as he drove, his mind wandered off.

"James!" Tony yelled as James snapped back into reality and saw the child who ran across the street, chasing after his red ball. The kid grabbed his ball and ran onto the sidewalk without a second thought.

"That was fucking terrifying," James recounted as he stayed stiff, his hands remaining on the wheel.

"Don't worry James, it wasn't your fault," Tony reassured him as he gave him a small smile. James drove home and let out a sigh of relief as he got out of the car alongside Tony.

"How was it?" You asked from the living room couch, with Morgan sitting next to you.

"It was good," Tony replies, hopping over the couch to sit next to you.

"Yeah, until some kid ran across the street and I almost killed him," James mentioned and sighed.

"Hey, to be fair, the kid wasn't using the cross walk," Tony retorted as James set himself down on the chair beside the couch.

"Next time, I'll drive," Morgan confidently said as she hugged closer to you.

"Of course you will, baby," Tony smiled as he wrapped his arm around you.