Chapter Four: A Lie Guarded

Octavia had woken up with a serious headache. She sat up and groaned. She could barely remember how she ended up back in Indra's home. Octavia's foggy mind hung onto the image of Didrika. Octavia smiled. They had been through a lot together as a team, but Octavia never thought they would actually become friends. Last night was the first time in a while that Octavia felt like a child. She had fun.

Octavia stood up and grabbed her jacket. She slipped it on and slung her sword sheath over her shoulder. She slowly walked outside. The sun blinded her and made her head throb. She flared her nostrils and shook her head. A warrior walked up to her and told her that Kane would like a word with her. Octavia thanked him for the notice. Octavia did not realize it, but instead of going to meet Kane, she went to go get Didrika.

Didrika sat on the courtyard boulders watching the novitiates train. They had improved since she had told them to experiment with their body movement. They moved quicker and they shielded exposed parts of their fighting stance. She was impressed that they had made their moves more decisive and accurate. Josiah was eager to tell her that morning that watching Lorelei and her fight Rafael helped them as well. Didrika had not meant for that, but she would take it. Didrika slid off the boulder and asked for Constantine to pass her a staff. He threw her one and she asked who would like to spar with her first.

Octavia stopped at the entrance of the court yard. She saw Didrika fast paced sparing with a girl novitiate. Didrika seemed to be on the defensive while the novitiate was on the offensive. Octavia noticed that Didrika rarely wore her shoulder plate cape around the novitiates. She saw it on the boulder along with her sword sheath and gun holster. Octavia stood at attention and watched Didrika's moves. Didrika had a style that reminded Octavia of ballet and gymnastics. She could also notice the rigidness that made Octavia believe that she had started off more in precise fighting style and moved toward a fluid fighting style.

Didrika caught the girl's arms and pulled her close to her. The fight was over. The girl moved away from her and Didrika threw Constantine his staff back. Didrika saw Octavia from the corner of her eyes. Didrika ordered the novitiates to spar with their Unify partners. Didrika grabbed her shoulder plate cape and secured it on and then secured her weapons on. She walked over to Octavia. Octavia told her that Kane wanted to speak with her. Didrika told her to lead the way.

They entered the Trikru pub and the people inside murmured about Didrika being there. Last night they had not noticed her, because she had been discreet and did not have her cape on. Today she walked in with it on and with no intention to hide. Octavia saw Kane sitting at a desk in the corner. Octavia nudged Didrika and Didrika saw Kane. They walked over to him. Kane looked unamused with Didrika's presence. He sat up and put his clasped hand on top of the desk.

"I asked to talk to Octavia, not you Heda," Kane said with a faint presence of venom in his words.

"I asked her to come. What do you need?" Octavia responded sweetly.

"We need to talk. Sit, please," Kane told her.

Octavia sighed and pulled over two chairs. The girls sat down in front of him.

"What did I do now?" Octavia retorted.

"The news of you killing the ring leader of Podakru is spreading. I'm afraid people will riot in protest of the unjust death. Your choices have consequences," Kane whispered.

"Would you have rather I kill the leader while he was rioting and cover it up as natural causes?" Octavia asked.

"I'd rather you didn't kill," Kane told him sternly.

"Octavia is on my guard. She did as I told her to. Her mission is to keep the peace to allow time for the others to find a way to save us from the radiation," Didrika informed Kane,