Chapter Seven: Gimme Shelter

Didrika helped Roan and the Skaikru soldiers unload the cargo from the back of the truck. They placed the barrels on a wheeled board. The soldiers rolled the barrels into the huge facility in front of them. The sky had finally turned dark with night.

Didrika pulled out her knapsack from the back of the Rover. Roan disappeared into the facility. Didrika stared up at it. It was triangular in shape and stood tall in the sky. It must have several floor levels. Didrika scratched her neck in thought. Bekka had this island. It must have survived the original Praimfaya.

Clarke slipped up behind her and smiled. She felt herself go to hug her waist and then stopped herself. Clarke shook the idea out of her head. She is dating Lorelei, Clarke, get over yourself. Clarke thought to herself. Clarke touched Didrika's shoulder and Didrika turned to her. Clarke pointed to Emori waiting for them near the woods. Didrika nodded and they joined Emori. Emori led them into the woods.

Emori clicked on three flashlights and handed one to Clarke and Didrika each. Didrika looked at the device confused. It produced light like a candle yet it was a metal device.

They could hear distant thunder. Clarke looked at the sky in fear. Didrika looked behind her longingly. She wished she could be with Lorelei. The Black Rain could have already hit Polis. Didrika shook the thought from her head and stared at the ground with sorrow. Emori confirmed their worst fear; the rain was almost there. Clarke wavered in fear.

"I used to love the rain. Now it terrifies me," Clarke said.

"I would have thought nothing terrified you," Emori said.

"Did I say something wrong?"

"No. I just hate this island, that's all."

Didrika looked at Emori suspiciously. Emori was giving Clarke dirty looks and was interrogating her. Didrika pursed her lips and kept the observation to herself. Clarke did not seem too concerned about it.

"Murphy said you used to work here. Is that right?" Clarke asked Emori.

"Something like that," Emori said.

"Scavenging tech for Allie?"

Emori gave Clarke a warning glare. Clarke recoiled back and nodded.

"I'm sorry. Too many questions," Clarke apologized.

"Ignore me. I'm just upset that our mission here has failed. Hopefully your mother will come up with another way. You're just like her. Willing to do anything to save your people. Skaikru's lucky to have you," Emori said.

"We're not just doing this for Skaikru."

Clarke looked at Emori, sincere and Emori dropped her eyes. The annoyance in her eyes apparent to Didrika. Didrika looked at her in question.

Emori unclipped her radio and muttered into it. Jackson's voice responded to her and Emori trudged forward. Clarke and Didrika followed her.

The building was huge. It had lit up windows and a marble porch. The stairs and railing were white. A pool was outside with blue lit water. The water was completely still; there were zero ripples in it. Clarke could hear rock music coming out of the closed doors and windows.

Emori pulled open a glass door and slipped in. Clarke grabbed the door and held it open for Didrika. Didrika thanked her and walked inside. Clarke closed the door behind her. The furniture was all white. A black rug was in the living room. Several paintings hung on the walls. The table bottoms and cabinets were brown wood. There were futuristic lights hanging from the ceiling spilling white light into the room. An alligator skeleton head was on display on a table top in the living room. There were several black leather chairs. Black ovens, stoves, and a refrigerator lined the kitchen. Murphy was bouncing around the kitchen, cooking. Didrika stared at the building in astonishment.