Chapter Five: The Tinder Box

The march to Arkadia was a long one. The army would arrive around nightfall. It would allow Didrika to relay the options to Skaikru and to give them several hours to think on it. It would allow the army to set up camp outside the colony. This would be all good, except that was never going to happen. Didrika was never going to give Skaikru the options. She was not going to break the alliance with them. There was going to be no war. Didrika had no idea how she was going to end the game. Clarke could help her and she still had to give the report on the Nightblood solution. The long ride was giving Didrika too much time to over think her decisions. Her decision was a good one. She closed her eyes and let her mind go blank.

There was only one way to get to Arkadia from Polis. It was in rough terrain. It was a good thing that the horses were well equipped to travel on these paths. They were moving slowly, so that Kane and Bellamy could keep up. Bellamy was still broken up about his sister's death, but his sobs had ended. Didrika was thankful for that. She was going to cry if he had kept it up and that would have made her seem weak. It would have also probably broken her cover.

The army was still in the cover of the trees. Didrika led them out of the woods and onto a path. Dust pillowed up from the marching feet and hooves. The sun was hot and it was only mid morning. The red cape was wrapped around Didrika's head like a hood. Didrika never knew why Lexa wore the cape that way, but now she did.

You're doing what is right. A long lost voice said. Lexa, that you? Didrika asked. Actually it is Joan. I was listening to you thinking. The voice said. That's kind of creepy. Didrika told Joan. Joan snickered. You get used to it. I thought you would like me to weigh in on the situation. Joan said. Go ahead. Have at it. Didrika encouraged him. I believe that you remember that I died from a war. Lexa inherited it. Joan said. Yes, I remember. It was the war with Azgeda. Didrika responded. Now, hear me out, I never even thought about doing what you are, but knowing what I know about fear, the Nightblood solution is not enough. You want the clans to follow you, you need to give something for them to see. You know the phrase, can't believe what you can't see. You also want Kane to submit to you. People like him need a decision that surprises him. You need a decision that he would make to get him on your side. I personally know that. It worked with one of my reluctant Ambassadors. Joan said. He thinks I'm bloodthirsty. Didrika said. Then make him see that you're not. That's all I can help you with right now. But, remember, you can always call on the past Commanders for help. Joan said. Goodbye Joan and thank you for the advice. Didrika said. The presence of the voice disappeared and Didrika found herself alone again. Looked like her scheme just got bigger.

--IN ARKADIA--

Clarke slowly made her way down to the hangar bay. She was expecting Niylah to be there, handing over dried meat from their hunting trips. Clarke really wanted to see her friend. Arkadia was not the place she wanted to be in right now. She was encountering all kinds of hostility from her people. Her best friends were even distancing themselves from her. On top of all this, Clarke felt useless. She tried to help the people by making the list of survivors and that backfired on her. Her mother, Abby, had taken a team to Bekka's island to try to recreate Nightblood for the general population and was rejected on going with them. Bellamy and his hunting trip were still missing. She had sent a team with Jaha to find them, but she had not gotten any word back. She was beyond worried. She hated being away from Polis. She did not know what was going on on Didrika's side of things. Clarke was sure that Didrika would write to her if something had occurred, but that did not stop Clarke from being paranoid.

She walked down the ramp and saw Monty. She smiled at him. He was carrying their load of meat.

"Hey, any word from Jaha? Have they found Bellamy's unit?" Clarke asked Monty.