Chapter Nine: The Bond of the Unify Partners

The sun slowly sunk below the mountain tops. Octavia leaned on a rake and looked up at the sky. The sunrise was beautiful.

Ilian ventured out of his home. He had a dirt patch meant for vegetables and pins meant for livestock. Sheep ran in the pins, gleeful.

Octavia stepped back and thrust the rake into the ground. She pulled back and dug the dirt up. Ilian walked up behind Octavia and wrapped his arms around her waist. Octavia smiled and leaned into his embrace. Ilian stepped back and put his hand under his chin. Octavia continued to dig up the ground. Ilian laughed and Octavia looked at him with a disapproving glance.

"Are you tilling the soil or stabbing it?" Ilian asked.

"You know this is dumb, right?" Octavia said, "We'll all be dead before anything grows."

"The earth survived Praimfaya once. It will again. We do this for those who come after us. Let me show you."

Ilian moved behind her and ran his fingers up her arms. Octavia hid a smile. A cough made them turn around. A young girl approached Ilian's farm. She had tightly curled brown hair. She had a line of dots on her forehead and down the bridge of her nose. Ilian sighed and turned to Octavia.

"Head down. Say nothing. My people are wary of strangers," Ilian whispered in her ear.

Ilian walked away from Octavia. Octavia turned her head away and looked intently at the dirt underneath her feet.

Ilian stopped in front of the girl. He glared at her. The girl clenched her jaw and put her hands on her hips.

"Ankara. Chomouda yu komba raun? (Ankara. What brings you here?)" Ilian asked.

"Heda. Em ste komba raun gon Polis en ste as klin gon em na kom op gon Polis. Ai nomon's sen op oso mou beda gona gon Polis den if diyo gyon au south em shil em op. (Heda. She has returned to Polis and is calling for everyone to come to Polis. My mother's sending our best warriors to Polis so if things go south they can defend themselves,)" Ankara said.

"Ai bilaik woda op, floudon daun raun hir. Yu nomon na get em in. (I've got my hands full here. Your mother will understand.)" Ilian said.

"Yu kru gaf yu in, Ilian. Yu brana lukot hir na ai op ponis-de. (Your clan needs you, Ilian. Your new friend here can mind the farm.)"

"Yu gada ai seiso in. (You've got my answer.)"

"Heda may have news that could save us all."

"Ban au kom ai tof, Ankara. (Get off my land, Ankara.)"

Ankara sent a glare at the back of Octavia's head. Octavia felt the stare and turned to look at Ankara. Ankara studied her and then turned away. Octavia dropped the rake and went to his side. She looked at him quizzically.

"You didn't tell me you were a warrior," Octavia said.

"That's because I'm not."

Ilian turned back to his house. Octavia followed him into the home. It was lit up with warm yellow light. Ilian looked over at Octavia. Octavia pulled off her jacket and Ilian walked up behind her. He kissed her neck. Octavia closed her eyes and smiled. She turned around and pressed him against his bed frame. He looked at her shocked. She smirked and pressed him onto the bed. Ilian crawled back and Octavia laid down on him. He ran his fingers through her hair and kissed her. Octavia trailed her hands down his sides and kissed him back.

Octavia lied under the fur sheets. Her clothes off. She stared through the flickering flames of the candles. Ilian was beside her and leaned up. He ran his fingers over her tattoo. She felt him kiss her ear. Octavia shook him off. Ilian looked at her worried. Octavia felt his discomfort and puffed out air.