Chapter Eleven: The Other Side

Bellamy walked up to the desk Jaha was standing behind. He put his hands on the wooden surface, his fingertips turning white. He glared at the men in front of him. Kane crossed his arms over his chest and stared at him. Kane walked over to stand in front of Bellamy.

"How could you do this?" Bellamy asked, "Didrika guaranteed you a spot. She was gonna make sure we all got into the bunker."

"Didrika made promises yesterday that may not be upheld today," Jaha said.

"You can't possibly believe this, Kane," Bellamy said.

"Didrika is the leader of her people. She's a hypocrite. The only people who were guaranteed a spot were Clarke and Octavia. When the grounders come to get in the bunker she will disregard us to save her people. She has more sympathy towards them. Can you understand that? She was gonna leave us out to dry," Kane said.

"Yeah, I can understand that after everything you've seen Didrika do, you're still discriminating against her."

"She's seventeen."

"And Clarke's eighteen. Why does she get to lead our people, but Didrika can't? You can't expect me to stay down here not knowing what happened to my sister."

"We're not opening that door, son," Jaha said.

Bellamy turned and glared at Jaha. He barred his teeth at Jaha.

"You know what? I must have missed the election that made you Chancellor again. This is exactly like the Ark. I thought you grew up, Kane," Bellamy snapped.

Jaha took a mental step back, but he did not feel hurt by Bellamy's words. The blankness on his face infuriated Bellamy more.

Abby slipped into the small office and shut the door behind her. She turned and looked at Jaha.

"I was setting up the infirmary and I heard people in the corridor. Is it over? Did Octavia win?" Abby asked.

"We don't know," Bellamy said.

Abby looked at Kane suspiciously.

"Where's Clarke?" Abby asked.

Kane looked to Jaha to explain. His face was riddled with sorrow.

"She was in the tower. There was no way we were gonna get her here without tipping off Didrika. I'm sorry," Jaha said.

Kane looked to the floor. His eyes broken. Abby felt her heart sink and she swallowed the bile building in her throat.

"Give me your radio. Clarke has hers," Abby demanded.

"The walkies are no good down here," Jaha said.

Kane lifted his head up and moved back behind the desk. He pressed a button and the desk opened up. Jaha quickly snatched his papers off of the desk. He looked at Kane alarmed. Kane gave him a stern look and Jaha moved away from the desk. Kane gestured for Bellamy and Abby to come around the desk. Bellamy ran to the desk and sat down. Abby was blocked by Jaha. Abby snapped at him to move and Jaha refused. Abby shoved her way past Jaha and he caught her wrist. She looked at him with a murderous gaze.

"I understand your need to know, but I promise you there is nothing but more pain on the other side of that radio. The radiation levels have become critical, so people outside are already feeling the effects. Once they realize that we took this bunker, it'll be chaos, and if we open that door, we let that chaos inside," Jaha said to Abby.

"I understand. Now, get the hell out of my way," Abby said.

Jaha groaned and moved to the other side of the room. Abby moved to Belamy's side. They looked at the computer screens and Bellamy adjusted the frequencies.