Chapter Twelve: The Chosen

Didrika led the grounders out of the rotunda. Octavia moved to her side as the doors swung shut. They ventured up the hallway to where the grounders were waiting for orders.

Didrika knew that Skaikru members had already occupied the bunks. She knew that to kick them out would cause panic and chaos. She also knew that while they could not be blamed for Jaha and Kane's mistake, they had to be punished. It was unfair to Skaikru, but it was also unfair to the other clans that Skaikru had invaded the bunker.

Didrika looked at the grounders with an approving smile. She gave them the go ahead to choose their living quarters. She explained that Skaikru members were to be treated kindly and removed peacefully. She wanted all of Skaikru gathered in the rotunda and the doors locked. It would put pressure on Abby and Clarke to choose their survivors. The grounders set out to claim their homes.

Didrika and Octavia forged forward. Gaia and Berangaria had already chosen the quarters of the founding families, the new supporting families, Ambassadors, the Guardians, the Flamekeepers, and the Commanders. They knew Polis was going to be destroyed in Praimfaya and they were making the bunker the capital of the grounder nation. The quarters circled a lobby. Gaia said that she was making arrangements for the quarters of the Coalition novitiates to be near the lobby.

Didrika and Octavia walked into the new quarters of the Heda. Mackenzie and Cerberus were wrestling Jaha to the ground. Didrika backed Mackenzie and Cerberus away and slammed her fist into Jaha's face. Jaha slipped to the ground and groaned. He pinched his nose and sat up. The blood of his nose was on Didrika's knuckles. Her eyes looked enraged and her normally calm face was overpowered by emotion. Didrika bent her arm back to release a second punch. Octavia grabbed her arm and Didrika looked at her angrily. Didrika let out a shuddering breath and lowered her arm. She closed her eyes and turned back to Jaha and Kane. Kane looked up at her.

"Please, there doesn't have to be anymore violence," Kane begged.

Didrika backed away from Jaha.

"Violence? If you didn't want violence you should have thought before you acted against me," Didrika hissed.

"I did what was right to keep my clan alive," Kane said.

"And what makes you think that they would have died under me?" Didrika asked.

"Three hundred will die under you!" Jaha yelled.

Didrika put her hand on her forehead and sighed.

"Listen, I am a leader. I understand what you did and why you did it. Which is why I went out of my way to give you second chances. You understand, that now I can't do that? That I have to treat you like prisoners and traitors now? The punishment for your crimes is indentured servitude. You will never be able to be Ambassadors, advisors, or leaders again," Didrika explained.

"What can we do to make it up to you?" Kane asked.

"You don't get anymore chances. You attacked my people and me. Under the news laws of the Coalition I should be killing you both, but I'm not. I'm taking away your right to leadership roles and privileges. You're now Octavia's and my slaves. Cerberus will lead you to the prison," Didrika said.

Didrika turned to Cerberus. Cerberus nodded and stepped forward. Kane stood up and Jaha slowly rose with a glare. Cerberus put his hand on his gun warningly. Jaha gulped and Cerberus gestured for them to walk forward. Cerberus walked behind them with his hands on their shoulders. Didrika watched them leave and then turned back inside of her office.

Didrika saw the journals that Lorelei had started. Everything was starting over. A new capital. New supporting families. New religion. New culture. New laws. Didrika turned to Octavia with a smile. Octavia smirked at her with a raised eyebrow.