Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Nineteen

A/N--I'm very sorry at to how long it took for me to get this uploaded, but here it is!  I hope you like it :)

It's pretty effortless to spot Fred once we get to the billiards hall downtown. He's leaning against the bar, looking like he'll fall over if it wasn't there to support him, and currently he's going sans-shirt. I've seen him for five seconds and I already know that he is completely and totally gone. And he's been asking for me. 

Fucking awesome. 

Ethan's hand tightens around mine as I make my way through the crowd of drunken men, some laughing loudly and sipping on their beers, while some pile around the green pool tables. I've been in this place just once, right after the four of us started hanging out, and honestly...it's still just as intimidating. All of the guys are middle-aged, looking like they could have wives and kids back home or something, and here I am...a tiny nineteen-year-old girl.  

Jesse notices me the closer we get, his eyes widening in relief. He then leans in towards Fred and I watch on as he tells him, "Time to get up, man. Hallie's here." 

By the time that information sinks into Fred's head, Ethan and I are already standing in front of him, Ethan tucked behind me. It's not that I doubt Ethan or anything; I know he'd crush Fred in a fight based on size alone, but I do know that it'll be best to keep Fred happy right now. He's going to be pissed when he sees Ethan, I know he is.  

"Halliieee...." he slurs, a goofy grin touching his lips. He picks himself off of the bar and starts to head towards me, his bare arms completely wide so that I can give him a hug, but before he moves two steps he's already stumbled to the side. Jesse reaches out towards him effortlessly, probably already having predicted that, and makes sure to steady him on his feet. 

After giving Ethan's hand a reassuring squeeze, I let it go and then take a couple steps towards Fred, grabbing onto his arm so that he can't fall. Fred smiles at the fact that I'm touching him, and takes a baby step towards me before saying, "You're so pretty Hallliieee....hahaha! Your name rhymes with pretty, Hallie!" 

"Good Lord," I mutter to myself, wondering for just a brief moment if I say stuff like that when I've been drinking. Or if my breath smells that rancid. My God, his breath smells absolutely terrible. "That's awesome, but look...I'm going to take you home alright? We need to go." 

"But I don't wanna go back," he pouts, giving me one of the most pitiful puppy dog looks I've ever seen in my life. "You're here...you're not there." 

Is he really this hung up on me? I never would have guessed that he'd like me at all, let alone this much. How have I not seen this? Would I have gone on completely oblivious had Ethan not pointed it out? Shaking my head, I tell Fred, "I'll be there; I'm going to drive you there, alright?" 

"But," he tries to take another step closer to me, but he stumbles once again, this time falling like a log towards me. I manage to grab him before he flattens us to the floor, but Ethan is obviously not happy at how close Fred now is to me.  

He comes from behind me and then grabs at Fred's other arm, telling him, "We're going to bring you to the car, okay?" 

"Who invited you?!" Fred demands loudly, attracting just a bit of attention from the bar tender. "Hallie, get your boy toy away from here. He's not fucking wanted." 

Jesse, apparently just realizing that Ethan's here with me and the situation that's starting to arise, looks at me with a mixture of incredulousness and stupidity. "You thought bringing him here was a good idea? Obviously it was just going to piss Fred off." 

"Shut the hell up, Jesse," I tell him harshly. "We're only here 'cause you couldn't do this yourself. Now could you please help?" 

He shakes his head at me, still looking pissed that I've brought Ethan here with me. He says, "Fred's in love with you Hals, and you're just going to throw your boyfriend in his face?"