Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Twenty

A/N--Guys, I sincerely apologize for the suckish length of this chapter.  I'm so sorry, I've just been really busy (and I know I use that excuse far too much) and haven't had time to sit and really think about this story.  But still, I hope you all enjoy it :)  And just know that this story still has a few good chapters left, so it's not close to being over yet.  So please comment/vote/fan!! I'll love you forever :)

And please enjoy the adorable pic of Ethan at the side, I saw it and fell in loovvvee :)

This may sound kind of retarded, but after my realization that I'm in love with Ethan three days ago it's weird to be around him. I don't know what it is, why I'm feeling this way, but now anytime I'm around him I get all antsy and quiet and I feel like I'm being too clingy and that he's going to get annoyed and dump me or something.  

I know that he's starting to get suspicious at my stand-offish behavior because he's started looking at me funny and he's definitely not as touchy with me as he usually is, and I hate it. I hate that he's being weird with me and that it's all my fault. And I don't even know why I'm doing this, why I'm subconsciously freaking myself out about our relationship when it's been so easy the entire time.  

Like right now, as he's standing against the counter talking to my parents about some dinner that he and my dad are going to tonight, I can't bring myself to just walk over there and stand beside him, sneakily sliding my fingers into his back pocket like I've always done. No, right now my happy ass is sitting itself down in the booth because my heart won't stop fluttering and my stomach is all in knots just at the mere sight of him. 

Is this what love is, or was I truly mistaken the other day? Because even though I've had zero experience in the whole love department, I know that love should not include me being all the way across the room from him. Right? 

"Hallie, what's going on with you?" my mom asks from where she's standing near my dad and my boyfriend, causing the two of them to turn around and lay eyes on me as well. Great. Now me and my discomfort right now are front and center. Just what I needed today. 

"What are you talking about?" I ask her dumbly, hitching up an eyebrow at her question. Maybe if I just play it off like nothing is wrong, it'll all go okay. Maybe if I act like I'm normal, they'll think it to be true.  

She flips a manicured hand in my direction and says, "You've been sitting there for half an hour twirling a spoon in a bowl of uneaten cereal." 

"I'm...waiting for it to get soggy?" I say, attempting to sound sure of myself but instead like I'm asking her a question.  

Ethan shoots me a look, one that I honestly cannot decipher at all, and then turns back to the counter, looking away from me. Damn it. He is obviously on to the fact that I'm being weird with him and does not like it. Not one bit. That's why he looks kind of mad at me. Awesome. 

Biting down on my bottom lip, I look away from the concerned eyes of my parents and back at my pretty much warm bowl of fruit loops. Disgusting. I usually eat this stuff like they're going to take it off the earth the next day and right now I can't even take a bite? What the hell is wrong with me? 

Ignoring their back-and-forth gazes between themselves and me, I silently stand up from the booth and then walk over to the sink, dumping the uneaten cereal out and then heading out of the room. Luckily no one mentions anything to me, letting me leave in peace, and so I just head on up the stairs and into my bedroom. 

I grab my laptop from where it's resting on my window seat, and then after getting Darko comfortably cuddling against my side, I open Tumblr and start scrolling through my dashboard. It's something completely mindless and can be pretty amusing, which is exactly what I need right now. I have absolutely no idea when my life decided to complicate itself, and I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.