Prologue

Don't cry. I promised myself that I wouldn't cry. . . It's just that. . . Stupid Yuki makes me so angry sometimes. She's my sister, and I know I am supposed to love her, but a part of me really does hate her. Hate the way she twists people around her little finger, getting everything and anyone she wants. Just now, she made Kaname all infatuated with her, just by saying that he never comes to see her anymore. I don't know if she was trying to imply that Kaname comes here only to see me, or if she is naively saying this to get what she wants. She does the same thing with Zero too. Hanging off him like she'll never see him ever again. The boy lives with us for goodness sake. It's not as if Zero is going to just saunter off somewhere without telling us. . . "Someone has a bad temper." Zero said, standing in the doorway to my room. "Go away." I told him, turning myself so that I was facing the wall. "I'm not leaving." "You're too stubborn for your own good." I told the boy, hearing his footsteps coming into the room.

I felt the weight of the bed shift. Zero must be sitting on the other side of it. "The bloodsucker is still downstairs if you want to say bye to him. He'll be leaving shortly." Zero told me, the tapping of his foot making the bed frame shake. This is a nervous habit of Zero's. He tends to do this when he's either irritated or annoyed. I've come to know the boy very well. After Papa brought him home, we had been the pair that clicked instantly after his arrival. . . His parents were killed by a Pureblood. Her name is Shizuka Hio. Apparently the Kiryuu's killed a lover of hers, sending her into a frenzy of anger and spite. She killed Zero's parents, bit him and ran away with his younger brother Ichiru. . . Not that I should know all of this. No one knows that I know this about Zero, but I overheard Papa speaking with Kaname around the time Zero came to live with us. There are many secrets that they are keeping from Yuki and I; things that we have the right to know. "I am not going to see him. He's with Yuki." I told Zero, lying myself back on the bed. He did the same and turned his head to look at me, his violet eyes searching me. "I thought you liked that guy." I sighed, brushing my hair back with my fingers. "Kaname is an important person to me. I don't hate him." He is a vampire. I have known this for awhile now. Kaname, a night walker that drinks the blood of humans. Yuki doesn't know yet, and Papa asked me to please not tell her yet. That he didn't think that Yuki could handle it as well as I did. "Well I do." I chuckled and rolled over, touching the ends of Zero's hair the way he liked it. "I know, but hey, you didn't try and stab him this time." This made Zero let out a sigh, him closing his eyes for a moment. He only ever let his guard down when he was around me. Never have I seen him ever do this with anyone but me. He didn't even let Yuki touch him when he came blood covered into our house a few years ago. He had cringed away from her, only letting me tend to him after I had calmed him down.

"Momo - Chan, Kaname is leaving now. He would like to say goodbye to you." Papa told me, peeking his head into the room. "Isn't Yuki good enough for him?" I asked, sitting up along with Zero. "Don't say that too loud. Kaname will hear." Papa said, corralling both of us out of my room and down the hall. "I hope he did hear." Zero muttered under his breath. I laughed, elbowing him in the side before coming into the main foyer where Kaname was standing with Yuki. "Momoko." Kaname said, stepping away from Yuki and bending down on one knee in front of me. "I don't care how long you look at me for like that. I am still mad." I told him, noticing that Zero backed away from my side to stand on the other side of the room. "Are you trying make me sad for the rest of eternity?" Kaname asked, lowering his head. I rolled my eyes and crouched down, so that I could look at him properly. "It's my job to keep you in line Kaname. You're spoiling my already very bratty sister and that makes me mad."

Unlike practically every else I know, I don't call Kaname's name with the honorific - Sama. I honestly think Kaname prefers it this way. It sounds like we are closer in relation this way. "Can I at least get a hug for the long trip back to the academy? I'll be very lonely without Momoko's love." He begged, giving me that sad look of his. I pressed my lips together as this is the first time I have heard Kaname speak to me informally. He's usually quite good with his words. "Fine. But I'm not going to enjoy it." I told him, holding my arms out. Kaname wrapped his arms around my petite frame, hugging me tightly. I refrained from hugging him back, trying to prove a point that he can't manipulate me like he can Yuki. I know that what he does is to protect us, but sometimes I feel like he is doing this for his own benefit, not ours.

After a long moment, Kaname let me go and stood. "I hope to see you again soon, Momoko." "Bring Takuma - Kun in next time. He must be lonely in the car waiting for you." I replied back with, Kaname's expression changing with my comment. "How do you know Takuma?" Papa asked, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Zero and I were playing outside last time Kaname was here. Yuki wanted to cling to Kaname so we went outside." I started to explain, not seeing what the problem was. "Kaname's car was out there and Takuma had stepped out for some air. Zero nearly about hit him with our shovel, but I stopped him in time don't worry. Anyways, Takuma started talking with us and now we're pen pals." "Pen pal?" Kaname inquired, giving me a weird look. "Yeah, we write letters back and fourth." I replied, pulling an envelope out of my sweater pocket and handing it to Kaname. He took it, reading over my handwriting on the front before placing it in his pocket. "I will make sure he gets your letter." I bowed slightly "Thank you." I then turned and headed towards the bathroom, knowing that I would have to shower before going anywhere near Zero.

"You shouldn't tease Kaname so much, you know how he gets when you show others more attention." Papa told me, sitting on the edge of my bed. "Then he should grow up. He is older." I replied, rolling over to face him. Kaien Cross is my adoptive father, he is very kind and goofy, just like a parent should be. "You know how much Kaname cares for you, he didn't mean to leave you behind today." I sighed, taking hold of one of his hands. "I have Zero so it's fine. I don't need Kaname." "You don't mean that." I know I didn't. I know that I could never not need Kaname. He just makes me mad is all. "Sometimes I just feel like. . ." "You feel left behind?" I nodded, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath. "Well soon enough, you'll be coming to daddy's school! And we'll be together a lot more often." I smiled slightly before I felt myself drifting off into another dream of mine. A dream that will surely reveal to me my past.