Chapter 16

Lily Petal should have felt enthralled as she became a full member of the Pack of the Falling Stars alongside her brother. The wolves were howling loudly for the both of them, Jay's Tail especially. Small Fox was smiling meekly at Lily Petal.

It just felt awkward for Lily Petal. Her brother had not said a word to her in some time. Of course, he had been in and out of the den getting treatment for some of the wounds Shining River had given him. Lily Petal still didn't understand that dynamic. The she-wolf had attacked her brother, or so she'd heard, yet the two still slept close to each other in the den at night. She supposed that would change though with the change of dens.

Lily Petal wanted to ask Feather Wings what was wrong. He still wasn't talking to her, but he seemed perfectly fine not speaking to her. He kept his silence as the crowd cheered on. As a pup, Lily Petal had imagined her two sisters to be with her and for Feather Wings to be just as excited, but the reality seemed a lot more duller than her fantasies.

"Congrats," she murmured to Feather Wings as the crowd began to depart. He only nodded in response.

The two were greeted by their parents first. Moon's Shine and Cold Blizzard were staring proudly at their son and daughter and began to shower them in compliments.

"I always knew this day would come. It's hard to imagine you two have grown up so much," Moon's Shine said, sniffing slightly. "I wish Morning Dew could have been up there too."

Lily Petal felt choked up for a moment and nodded. She had wished the same. Unfortunately, the thought of Morning Dew only brought Feather Wings' harsh words back to her mind. Their fight had not been a particular clean one. The worst part was that Lily Petal felt he had been telling the truth in some of it.

"Why the quiet responses?" Cold Blizzard asked. "I know you two didn't get along as pups, but now?"

"I was just nervous," Feather Wings stated.

"Me too," Lily Petal agreed. Neither of them had spoken to their parents about the fight they had shared.

Thankfully, Jay's Tail was approaching, saving Lily Petal from any more awkward family talk. She excused herself and rushed to him, knowing that she was at least happy when she was talking to Jay's Tail. He licked her cheek, ears, and head, congratulating her.

"I can't believe the day is finally here!" Lily Petal exclaimed.

"Me too! I already picked out a spot in the den just for you," Jay's Tail told her, grinning as he did so.

Out of the corner of her eye, Lily Petal noticed Feather Wings' glare. She wondered what he had to be upset about it. He looked envious, but she could see Shining River already approaching. They both had important wolves in their lives that they'd rather see now.

"This question has been long coming, but will you be my mate?" Jay's Tail asked.

Lily Petal hadn't been surprised to hear him ask at all. She nodded, letting out a little glee of joy. Perhaps Feather Wings was upset with her, but Jay's Tail loved her, and she was ready to live a life beside him.

Now, Lily Petal could see the somberly face of Small Fox in the distance. She licked Jay's Tail's cheek before excusing herself and cautiously approaching Small Fox.

"Small Fox, is everything okay?" Lily Petal asked. They were standing by foliage away from a few dens, near the entrance of the forest from their home. Small Fox looked saddened, but also a bit bitter, just as she'd seen Feather Wings look moments ago.

"Will you still have time for me now?" Small Fox asked quietly.

"Huh? Oh! Did you hear Jay's Tail and I were mates?" Lily Petal asked.

"Yes. I'm asking if I still mean anything to you, then," Small Fox said.

"What do you mean?" Lily Petal asked, tilting her head.

"Can't you tell I'm upset?!" Small Fox suddenly shouted. A few wolves looked her way, so she dropped her head and lowered her voice as she continued to speak. "I feel like a third wheel around you two. I don't get attention from either of you anymore. You're too wrapped up in each other, and I'm just...minding my own business."

Feather Wings' argument was continuing to come into play, Lily Petal thought. He had said Small Fox was upset, but she had once again been too oblivious to buy into the idea.

"That's not true, Small Fox! We're best friends, aren't we? We have been since we were pups, and we'll keep being friends. Your mother isn't going to scold you now that you're a grown wolf," Lily Petal argued.

"Best friends don't leave each other in the dust. I understand you and Jay's Tail have a deeper relationship, but it shouldn't replace ours, or your brother's. I know you two got in a fight. I think he's getting tired of your attitude too," Small Fox stated.

"Well, now that you've insulted me, I don't really know if I want to keep this friendship up. I've tried to make time for both of you, but you're always sulking and wanting more!"

"Because you haven't paid one bit of attention to me since you and Jay's Tail fell in love!" Small Fox growled, her ears back. "Your head is in the cloud, Lily Petal. You think you have a perfect life and that everything is going swimmingly. I wish I could have joined you, but I don't feel appreciated by you or my brother anymore."

"Then--then what can I do?!"

"Nothing. I think it's best we stop being friends. I want to find some friends that actually appreciate me," Small Fox told her. With those words, she turned around, heading into the woods.

"Well, fine! I don't need you either!" Lily Petal shouted as her former friend disappeared in the trees and snow.

Jay's Tail slowly approached, looking concerned.

"What's the matter? What were you and Small Fox fighting about?" he asked.

"She doesn't want to be friends with us anymore," Lily Petal grumbled.

"Why not?"

"Who cares? I don't want to be friends with her either," Lily Petal complained. "Come on, let's go back inside. I want to see what it's like sleeping in a bigger den."

Jay's Tail shrugged and led her to her new den, though Lily Petal couldn't be as excited as she wished. The argument still stung, and she was beginning to fear that she'd lose everyone close to her as she looked at Jay's Tail. He was beginning to be the only wolf she had left.