Chapter Six

"Since Zuzu can't come over for dinner…" Eri began after she dragged Shinsou out of Hosu Thrift. He stared at the girl, waiting for the rest of this master plan of hers. "We should bring dinner to her! We can make something good and have it like a real dinner at that fancy table in the store!" 

Shinsou walked over to the car and got in, making sure Eri had clicked in her seatbelt before he started driving. "Sure, I don't think it could make things worse at least."

-

When the pair returned to Kazumi's work, she was a bit confused, "Did you forget something?" She asked as she tilted her head to the side.  

Eri grinned widely and stuck her thumb out to emphasize Shinsou behind her holding two large plastic bags. "Nope, but we brought something!" 

Shinsou smiled at Kazumi as he let Eri unpack the bentos they'd prepared along with placemats, cutlery, and three bottles of soda. What Shinsou didn't see was the two candles she had snuck into the bag, thinking that maybe a candlelit dinner might make Shinsou seem more like 'boyfriend material' to Kazumi. The girl liked Kazumi, a lot actually, but she saw Shinsou smile around her, something he didn't do enough of.  That made Eri like the woman even more, so naturally she decided to try and play matchmaker.

With the strike of a match, all attention was brought to Eri, and Shinsou was about to freak out until he saw what she was doing. He crossed his arms and frowned, "That wasn't part of the plan." 

Eri shrugged sheepishly, "It doesn't hurt!" 

The girl waved her arms in front of the table in a grand gesture, "Now come sit down, dinner is ready."

When Kazumi turned back to Shinsou and studied his eyes, she felt those tears well up again, even though she thought that she had no more left to cry. She couldn't remember the last time someone else cooked a meal for her and was grateful to them. He laid a hand gently on her shoulder, "Hey, don't think so much. Let's eat, ya? The brats been hangry for the past hour and I swear I might use The Force on her if it goes on any longer." 

Kazumi took a deep breath before she nodded, Shinsou took it upon himself to place a hand in the small of her back and guide her to her seat across from him.  As they ate, Eri chattered away and both Kazumi and Shinsou stole glances at each other, smiling softly when they caught the other doing so.  

Shinsou wouldn't admit it to his sister, but the candles were a nice touch. The way they brought a warm, golden glow to Kazumi's already rosy cheeks was mesmerizing and he wished he could reach out and touch her. They stayed like this even after they finished and Eri smiled as she noticed the two of them staring at each other. "So when does the store close?" She asked.

"Eight o'clock." 

"You know it's eight fifteen, right?" The girl smirked, knowing full well she was too distracted by Shinsou to keep an eye on the time. 

Kazumi awkwardly rubbed the back of her neck and stood up, starting to pack up the items scattered on the table. Shinsou placed his hand on top of hers, the spark had returned as she felt a jolt of electricity run through her skin at his touch. "We'll do this. You do your closing tasks." 
-
As they stood outside the store where Kazumi was locking up, Eri once again, had an idea to keep the pair together longer. "Nakamura, you're gonna come drive me home, right?" 

Kazumi gave her a small smile, "I'm sorry kiddo, I can't. I've got..um...stuff to do at home." The girl shrugged, "So what? It won't take long, come on." 

Shinsou started walking toward his car, "She won't let you say no, so you're stuck with us." 

Eri took hold of the front passenger door and he tutted, "Nakamura sits in the front today. Since you invited her, it's only fair."