Chapter Twenty Seven

ZUZU!” Eri shouted as Kazumi and Shinsou walked through Aizawa and Yamada’s apartment. She visibly flinched at the nickname and Eri sighed, “I’m sorry...I forgot. Um, Dad told me what happened.”

Shinsou watched as Kazumi smiled sadly and patted Eri’s head, “It’s just how life goes.” The brunette smiled softly at the girl before she spoke again, “I’m really glad she got to meet you, Eri. Thank you for visiting her, she thought you were great.” 

Eri smiled, “She was really cool, that must be where you get it from.”  Kazumi wasn’t used to hearing her mother spoken about in past tense like this and she took a deep breath to try and calm her racing heart.

Shinsou, who had been leaning against the door watching their interaction, had met her eyes and saw that they were glossy, knowing that she was fighting back tears, so he stepped in. “So what? I’m chopped liver now? Don’t even say hi? Pfft.” 

Eri shrugged, “Probably. I’ve never had chopped liver before but I bet it's nasty.”  Kazumi sputtered out a laugh and Shinsou smirked, “Smartass.” 

The girl giggled and gave Shinsou a hug. “Can we go to the Aquarium? There’s a new stingray exhibit that looks really neat.” 

Shinsou’s eyebrows furrowed, today was not the day to bring Kazumi through a bad trip down memory lane. “Why don’t we go to the zoo instead?” 

Eri scoffed, “Why? Stingray are so much cooler than some dumb monkeys, right Zuzu?”

“If you want to go see the stingrays, then let go see some stingrays.” She smiled half-heartedly, trying not to think about the bad things that happened when she was last at the aquarium, but only of the good thing - it’s where she met Shinsou. 

"Kazumi, we really don't have to go there. " He sighed with a slight frown. She stepped closer to Shinsou, “Eri, close your eyes.”  

The girl shook her head, “Nope.” 

Kazumi shrugged and spun Shinsou toward the hallway outside of the apartment and closed the door behind them. She wrapped her arms around his neck and his hands instinctively lifted to support her lower back. “Thank you for worrying, Toshi.” 

“This has got to be the last place you want to be today, Zu. She’ll forget about it after we’re at the zoo, it’ll be fine.” 

“You know, not all the memories I have there are bad. I actually have one really good memory there.”  Shinsou raised his eyebrow, “Oh?” 

She stepped on her tiptoes and kissed his nose, “I met you there, idiot.”  He rolled his eyes, “Right. Well, I know it also harbours bad memories, so we don’t have to go. Don’t push yourself.” 

“It’s fine, hon.”  Kazumi didn’t catch the term of endearment as it naturally fell from her lips, but Shinsou obviously did and he momentarily fought with himself as to whether or not he should call her out on it...he just couldn’t resist.

Hon? As in Honey?” He grinned, “I quite like that, actually.” 

Kazumi’s immediate tip to toe blush made Shinsou’s heart swell, “No need to be embarrassed, sweetheart.” He teased once again and she pushed his shoulder lightly, well, lightly to her.

Shinsou stumbled back and her eyes widened, “Oh my god, I’m so sorry, Toshi. I didn’t even think about my quirk, I-” 

The soft look in his eyes reassured her that he wasn’t upset, “No harm done, Zu. I know the risks of embarrassing you.” He winked and closed the distance between them, putting his palm on the small of her back to pull her closer. Her cherry tinged cheeks each received a kiss before one was bestowed upon her lips, one which she wished would never end.