Chapter Seventeen

Kazumi was surprised yet relieved to see a small smile on Shinsou's face as he walked into Hosu Thrift that evening. The fact that he was there had mostly settled her nerves as it was, but a smile? Well, she wasn't going to complain. "Hey, Toshi." She walked around the counter and wrapped him up in her arms, snuggling herself against his chest.

He patted her head before letting his fingers run through her curly locks. "Hey, beauty." He kissed the top of her head and let his chin rest in that spot for a few minutes as he soaked up the embrace he so wished he could've had yesterday. "I missed this." Shinsou hummed into her ear as he placed a kiss on her cheek.

"Me too." Kazumi smiled even though he couldn't see it, it was so relieving that he was there and he wasn't too upset. Actually, he didn't look upset at all.

Shinsou pulled out of their hug but kept one hand on her hip whilst the other tucked a loose piece of hair behind her ear, an action that warmed her heart. Yeah, she definitely missed this. "So I have some good news." Shinsou smiled down at her, giddy at the prospect of getting to see Kazumi at work every day even though he knew she would probably be a bit upset about his half-truth.

"There was an opening at my work for a receptionist and I managed to snag it for you. It's way more than you're making here, so you wouldn't have to work as much, plus they offer benefits. It probably wouldn't cover everything for Mae, but it would help right?"

She stood there in shock for a moment, absorbing the information he had just splayed out to her. Shinsou pulled her tighter against his chest, "Please say you'll take it. I'm sure it'll make a world of difference for you guys."

"Seriously?! At the community outreach center? That's amazing, Toshi!" Kazumi kissed his cheek and widely grinned, he was right, this would really make a big difference for her...she wouldn't have to work fourteen-hour days or struggle to keep food in the house.

Shinsou rubbed the back of his neck as he spoke, "Well, it's um, not exactly at a community outreach center..." The brunette's head tilted to the side, "What do you mean? Is there like, another branch or something?"

He took a deep breath as he prepared himself for the hard part, but it's like ripping off a bandaid, right? "It's at Eraserhead Hero Agency, actually..."

Kazumi's mind started racing as soon as she heard the words, but maybe his job was an office job there... "Hero Agency? Maybe I misunderstood you before, do you do community outreach for them?"

He looked away for a moment and the small action had Kazumi's pulse quicken. She backed up and let his hand fall away from her as she desperately hoped she was reading into things. He wouldn't lie, Shinsou wouldn't hurt her. He knew how important honesty was to her and he wouldn't jeopardize that...right?

Kazumi watched as he shifted awkwardly in his spot, "It's my agency, I'm a pro-hero, Zu. I- I didn't want to get you mixed up in anything so I didn't mention it..."

Her eyebrows knitted together and a lump in her throat appeared but she gulped hard to try and rid herself of it as she felt her stomach churn and her eyes start to burn. "S-so you lied to me, then? There's no community outreach center... I'm such a fucking idiot."

"Hero work is technically a community service if you think about it. You're not an idiot, don't overthink, Zu. I didn't want you to get hurt." Shinsou reached out for her hand but she backed away, a movement that tugged on his heart.

Kazumi's lip wavered as she tried, once again, to hold back her tears. "You were there when Kenji... you know what happened... how long he lied to me, S-Shinsou." Her voice cracked as she said his surname but she continued, "You said you weren't like him, that I shouldn't write you off so quickly."