Chapter Twenty Nine

"Would you mind dropping me off at home?"

Shinsou glanced over at Kazumi with a frown, "You don't want to come over to my place? I invited the gang over to hang out with us. Mina was really excited to see you again."

"I can't avoid home forever, Toshi," Kazumi sighed and stared out the window, lowering her voice as she continued. "And I can't keep taking advantage of your kindness."

Shinsou pulled the car over to the side of the road and parked. He turned towards the brunette and promptly took her hand in his, needing her to know that she's wrong in this specific case. "Kazumi. You're not taking advantage of me, you never have. You're welcome to stay as long as you want..." He ran a hand through his lavender locks. "I want you to stay."

Kazumi was conflicted; she knew that she would feel happier if she stayed at his place for the night, but she also knew that continuing to rely on Shinsou would make her an even heavier burden on him. And she felt too strongly for him to let herself become one. "Toshi, it's not fair to you. Here you are dealing with all of my emotional baggage and caring for me when I'm not doing anything in return. How is that not taking advantage of you?"

"You're not doing nothing, Zu," Shinsou sent her a soft smile before laying his hand gently on her cheek. "Our emotional intimacy is exactly what I need and what I want," He let his thumb caress her supple skin.

"Your company...your companionship, your laughter, your tears; all of it. You are what I need, Kazumi, can't you see that?"

She glanced away shyly and her cheeks heated up with a light blush as his words reminded her of the ones she barely even allowed herself to think. It wasn't a secret to Kazumi that Shinsou cared deeply for her, he showed her every day in many ways, but she still circled back to her main concern. "I don't know if I can be what you deserve, Hitoshi."

"You are already more than I deserve," Shinsou took a deep breath, knowing that what he was about to say could go one of two ways, but he knew it needed to be said. "Zu, I'm crazy about you and if you don't feel the same then say it, but if you say you don't, then we both know you're lying. I don't even care about the label anymore, I just want to be with you."

Her stomach swirled as her mind went blank and her chest felt full. She didn't have time to think before she loudly blurted out, "I want to be with you, too!"

"I know," Shinsou exhaled with a sweet grin. "But now you know too. So let's grab some of your stuff from your apartment and then head back to the house, yeah?"

With her face buried in her hands to hide her embarrassment, Kazumi nodded. "No need to be so shy about it, Zu," Shinsou leaned over and kissed the side of her head. "I'm certainly not going to be."

Kazumi squeaked in what Shinsou thought was the cutest way, and he chuckled as he turned the car back on and headed toward the Nakamura's apartment.

-

Kazumi's hand trembled as she took her keys out of her pocket and poised the proper one at her lock. Shinsou stepped behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist to try and help her feel more secure. After a deep breath she turned the knob and entered the suite. Her eyes watered as Mae's subtle scent hit her, something she didn't think would've been obvious in a place where they both resided. She silently blinked back tears and when she began to walk to her bedroom, Shinsou waddled behind her, his arms still attached to her, unwilling to part from her form.

Kazumi let out a breathy chuckle and paused in place. "I can't walk like this, Toshi." He placed a kiss just below her ear before he swiftly tucked an arm under her knees and shifted her into a princess carry. She squeaked at the motion and laughed as he walked her to her bedroom and placed her down on the bed, giving her forehead a sweet kiss before sitting down next to her.