Chapter 15

DAWSON

The next day at practice I made a speech to my team warning them to stay away from reef Girls much to Alice's dismay. The team didn't understand why I was being so nonchalant towards them after years of hating them.
"Look I know it seems weird but it's a tactic I've come up with, if we ignore them while their here they'll get scared and see how we are really practicing and focusing on beating them" after that they nodded their heads seeming to understand my reasonings. Once practice finished I Look Over to reefs side of the field and see there done as well but instead of heading to my car I wait on the field, God forbid anyone saw us leaving together. I'm definitely not sure if this is a good idea, actually I'm positive it isn't. Me and karter have this weird tension that I don't like to admit too but I know is there and spending time with her is the last thing I should be doing. When she proposed the deal I went to say no but my mouth did it's own thing and now here I am waiting for karter to meet me so we can head over to the cafe. I feel a buz in my pocket and pull out my phone to see Cole is calling me. I should answer it but after the dinner I've been avoiding him. I just feel so guilty that I hurt him and he doesn't even know. I decline the call.
"Hey you ready" I look up from my phone to see karter standing in front of me. I can tell she's had a good practice, I see a small grin on her lips and her hair pulled back almost perfectly but with a few strands out that some how make her look even better.
"Ya lets go" I grab my stuff and walk to my car. I was sure after the awkward dinner and bathroom situation that me and karter wouldn't have anymore conversation but here I am sitting in my car with her. Once I'm driving we both get dead silent. Neither of us know what to say so we keep our mouth shut. Tutoring isn't gonna be any fun. I finally pull up to the cafe and walk in and find my way to a table big enough for us both with books. Karter finally says something.
"Alright lets start with ......"

——

We've been here an hour and I'm tired and completely bored all karter has said or spoken about was chemistry and it was going in one ear and coming out the other. I find my self staring at her as she would write down formulas or explain how something is and then she would smile and get this expression like  she was happy teaching me and being able to explain something so perfectly. The only problem was I still wasn't bothered to learn any of it so instead of paying attention to the actual stuff I was suppose to I just watched her.
"Your not even listening" I'm snapped out of my trance of staring at her and realize she's now growing upset with me for not paying attention.
"Yes I am I swear" I lie
"No your just randomly staring and saying 'uh huh' every five minutes" she looks annoyed with me.
"No I swear look ask me a question" she writes an equation and hands me the paper. I just stare at the problem with absolutely no clue how to solve it.
"Well this one looks different" she just shakes her head.
"Dawson this is the same problem I've been doing for the last 10 minutes" oh shit well I'm caught.
"Fine I wasn't paying attention, but it's pointless I'm not gonna get any of this by my test" I toss my pencil down.
"If you keep acting like that your right but just try and give it a chance, I mean I am a really good tutor" she grins at me. I couldn't help myself and I smiled back at her but as fast as that happened I switched back to a bitchy glare.
"Fine just continue" she writes another problem down and starts to explain and this time I try to listen. When she tells me to finish the problem we both go for my pencil at the same time and I can feel her hand Graze mine. The moment we touched I pulled back immediately afraid of the awkwardness this was about to cause. She gives me an uneasy face but picks up the pencil and hands it to me.
"Ok now solve the formula"
30 more minutes of her showing me stuff that I'll never use in my future, we decide to finish and leave. I drive her home again.
"So you have a brother right" Karter attempts at a conversation.
"How did you know that" I ask questioningly.
"Remember when we asked questions, I asked if you had siblings you said 'yes brothers'" she's right I remember that.
"Ya what about him" I'm not a fan of talking about family.
"Well does he play lacrosse, I have a brother two but he could care less about lacrosse for him it's all about soccer" I can tell the only reason karter is talking is cause she hates the awkward silence.
"He use to play not anymore" I'm keeping it short not to let her know anything more than she needs to.
"Ohh um that's cool...." that silence has now returned. We finally pull up to her house and before I can even come to a full stop she's grabbed her stuff and jumped out my car screaming a thanks in my direction. I don't think I'll ever be able to explain why this one random girl has been able to draw me in like this. I was thinking of telling karter we should stop tutoring but I don't think I could bring myself to do something that would make me have to spend less time with her. That scares the shit outta me.