𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘥 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗦𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗡 │ reign .

You tell a lie, plan tonight.
Too many drinks, so many reasons that
Some things are better left unsaid.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Marry me, Lucrezia. I want you to be the next Queen of Spain."

Sébastian's proposal left the engaged couple speechless. The princess didn't expect to ever hear those words out of her best friend's mouth and the prince never thought somebody would try to break off the deal with Italy. But for both of them, it felt like the sky above cracked and it was on the verge of falling.

"I don't understand how—why would you suggest this, Séb?" Lucrezia finally spoke. "We've known each other since we were children and that's when you decide to propose to me? Was I nothing more than a political ally to you?" The Spanish prince thought his offer would give her something to think about, but he didn't expect this reaction from her.

"Think about it, Luce. We could rule both Italy and Spain together. There would be no threat to Portugal, we would maintain peace in our alliance. We could rule in peace. I know you've been worried about this situation but here I am, asking you to end the deal with Australia and choose Spain instead. You and I both know it's beneficial to you to accept my offer."

She refused to give an answer. Instead, she glared at Sébastian. "Allow me to stay silent on your proposal for now." Ater those words, she stormed out of the dining room and left the palace through the nearest exit.

Lucas wanted to follow but at the same time, he was so mad with the other prince that he couldn't leave just like that. "Listen carefully, Spain," he muttered under his breath. "I don't give a fuck about your proposal or what you have to offer to my fiancée. If you really think she would ever accept your stupid idea and let you take control over her life and her country, then you don't know her at all. I suggest you leave the palace right now, because I'm not going to be so polite to you if I ever see you bothering her again."

He didn't wait for the Spaniard to reply. Instead, he followed the princess in the courtyard. "Lucrezia?" He called her name and searched for her.

There was a war taking place in Lucrezia's head and heart. Everything that happened these days was finally sinking it. Sébastian's family, her best friend's family, wanted to take advantage of Portugal's current instability and attack her cousin's country. Portugal asked for Italy's help. Lucrezia came up with a strategy that would help Portugal, but that meant launching an attack on Spain. Her father put her in charge of the Italian army. Her best friend showed up unannounced and asked her to marry him. How could she think clearly when there were so many things going on at the moment? She was overwhelmed.

Did she want to marry Sébastian? That was a question she couldn't answer. Not so long ago, she would've said yes without a doubt. Deep in her heart, she had been waiting for this question for many years. She couldn't remember when she started to feel something about him, but she learned to repress her affectionate feelings for him because it was for the best. It's not like he would ever look at her that way. But now, when she finally made a decision and agreed to marry the Prince of Australia, he decided that Lucrezia was a suitable bride for him. Ehy now? She was pleased with how she planned her life, but his question ruined everything. If one of his goals was to plant doubt in her heart, then he succeeded.